Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i'm either burning alot of oil,cause it's dissapearing somewhere.i'm not seeing any oil under the front end(at least nothing noticable spots)

i do notice that it smokes alot when first started cold but it goes away after it's fully warmed up.

the smoke i'm seeing,could that be my engine burning the oil?

(i hope not):confused:

seems like i need to add atleast 2quarts a week:banghead:

any ideas.should i give it a seafoam treatment?

i doubt seafoam is going to stop the leak.... and 2 quarts a week??! :eek: if you're burning that much.. something's messed up... sure there isn't something leaking under the car? maybe onto the headers, where it gets burnt off?

My oilpump rattled it self loose (the screws) we tightened those up and it ran like a champ after that... :rolleyes:

i doubt seafoam is going to stop the leak.... and 2 quarts a week??! :eek: if you're burning that much.. something's messed up... sure there isn't something leaking under the car? maybe onto the headers, where it gets burnt off?

My oilpump rattled it self loose (the screws) we tightened those up and it ran like a champ after that... :rolleyes:

i'll have to get under the front end soon and take a closer look.i know around the filler tube,it's really covered in oil.

maybe 2qrts is going over a bit but that what it seems sometimes.(i refill using a 5qrt bottle so i don't look to see how much it actually use)

model engine year and mileage will help alot here.:banghead:

It just sounds like its time to reseal the engine.

nipper

sorry i forgot that part.

94 legacy gt with the 2.2.it has about 160,000 on it.

checked the oil this morning and i think i've been kinda messing up somewhat,cause it was fine and the last time i checked it,it was a'lil over a week ago.

(i probably shouldn't start the car first then check the oil.i should probably check before starting)

If you need a pit to throw the car over so you can take a good look at everything, you're welcome at my house.

Check the PCV valve, if it is jammed open, it can start sucking oil up. It will make it idle rough though.

it idles pretty smooth.i think the problem is the person checking the oil(me):rolleyes:

I'm with all the votes on the PCV valve. Hopefully that's it. I fought the same problem with my '91 2.2L at 157K miles. It started just like yours with blowing lots of smoke out the back when cold and then that cleared up as the engine warmed up. Over the course of 6 weeks the oil consumption increased to a quart every 300 miles (and not a drop on the driveway so it wasn't leaking out). I found the source was lots of oil in the large intake air hose; it was just being sucked into the engine and blown out the back. I finally had it checked by Smart Service and they suggested I replace the engine. It had a real bad case of blow-by as well as HC's in the coolent (a sure sign of head gasket failure). It never overheated in all that time, altho I had a number of Check Engine codes (none of which seemed related to the symptoms). Sorry to be the bearer of possible bad news; I hope it's your PCV. I was fortunate enough to find a replacement engine which went in about 6 weeks ago and is running like a charm. Good luck.

i think i'll be going to the parts store and change the pcv.maybe that'll make a difference.

lets hope so cause i can't afford to have engine replaced.

Get an OEM PCV; it's only around $15 and the aftermarket brands have a poor reputation on this Board. You might try www.1stsubaruparts.com altho the $5 minimum shipping might exceed the 35% discount.

ok,so i go to the parts store to pick up a pcv,get home and open up the hood.......

where is it located??? i looked around and couldn't find it.:banghead:

can someone tell me the where-abouts for the pcv?? (maybe with a pic,if possible)

ok,so i go to the parts store to pick up a pcv,get home and open up the hood.......

where is it located??? i looked around and couldn't find it.:banghead:

can someone tell me the where-abouts for the pcv?? (maybe with a pic,if possible)

Look on the left side of the crank-casefor a 1/2 or 5/8" rubber hose connected to a portion threaded into the wall itself (the PCV valve). The PCV valve should have a 19 mm beveled hex portion. Pull the hose off the valve, and unscrew it. Screw the new one in (carefully!), and reattach the hose. Voila!

Look on the left side of the crank-casefor a 1/2 or 5/8" rubber hose connected to a portion threaded into the wall itself (the PCV valve). The PCV valve should have a 19 mm beveled hex portion. Pull the hose off the valve, and unscrew it. Screw the new one in (carefully!), and reattach the hose. Voila!

when you say leftside,you mean pass side?

i'll take a better look tomorrow.

thanks

I believe it is to the passenger side of the throttle body screwed into the intake manifold on the 2.2's. I could get off my lazy but and go out in the cold to look, but, it is cold outside.

yup that's were it's located.just came in front taking a look.it was hiding under that cover(covers the ignition pack)

is there a way of checking if it's bad buy looking at it??

after getting back from the parts store tomorrow,i'll get to replacing it anyway.

yup that's were it's located.just came in front taking a look.it was hiding under that cover(covers the ignition pack)

is there a way of checking if it's bad buy looking at it??

after getting back from the parts store tomorrow,i'll get to replacing it anyway.

The way to check it is to remove it and shake it or blow through it, and if your going to go through al the trouble of removing it, just replace it, its not a lot of money.

Some here will only use OE PCV valves, ive used aftermarket with no problems

nipper