Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Final MLM HG announcement

WJM

Fuji will not make them. Period.

Cometic and others who make MLM HG's wont make them unless you pay for the tooling...$6,000~$12,000...otherwise, big no there. Period.

So...that ends my search for MLM HG's for the EA engines.

Without the MLM, the EA82 will not be a reliable(more than 40k miles at a time beating on it every day) high power output (over 200hp/tq at the wheels) engine. Period.

So...another chapter closed....until someone gets the money to make it happen.

I still don't see that the issue is closed - O-ringing and copper gaskets were never consitered/installed, and while the installation of copper HG's is a real PITA, they have prooven their reliability/ruggedness in many other applications and sets cost as little as $50 a side - and even doing a simple re-routing of the T-charger coolant hoses will probably accomplish a great deal because it will keep #3 from getting cooked when the T-charger heats up, which seems to be the #1 reason the EA82T HG's fail in the first place

I still doubt that the EA platform has really been pushed to its limits; nobody has killed a bottom end by too much HP, and notbody has grenaded a head on an EA82, or even suffered streached head bolts; so many other possibilities too ....

Call me crazy, but 200hp at the wheels for 40K miles on stock HG's seems fine to me. 75%+ over stock on stock parts is acceptable at least.

As long as nothing gets cooked...

It's the first HG job that is a pain. Each following job is quicker, cleaner, and easier, plus the tools are ready.

--Ed

Fuji will not make them. Period.

Without the MLM, the EA82 will not be a reliable(more than 40k miles at a time beating on it every day) high power output (over 200hp/tq at the wheels) engine. Period.

Yes but you did get an engine that was 100-115 hp up to 200 hp. That's a pretty big accomplishment with such a small outdated engine. I wish my car had 100 hp... it'd be nice

I still don't see that the issue is closed - O-ringing and copper gaskets were never consitered/installed, and while the installation of copper HG's is a real PITA, they have prooven their reliability/ruggedness in many other applications and sets cost as little as $50 a side - and even doing a simple re-routing of the T-charger coolant hoses will probably accomplish a great deal because it will keep #3 from getting cooked when the T-charger heats up, which seems to be the #1 reason the EA82T HG's fail in the first place

I still doubt that the EA platform has really been pushed to its limits; nobody has killed a bottom end by too much HP, and notbody has grenaded a head on an EA82, or even suffered streached head bolts; so many other possibilities too ....

I did have the copper HG's for a while. No success.

but did you have the block and heads O-ringed? Might be worth a try.... I'll have to maybe do that this summer when I start on my new engine.

i am planning on getting my block ringed. everyone ive talked to that builds engines said that will solve a lot of head gasket issues.

imagine your engine block. on the block were the head and block meet, there is a small circle machined into the mating surface. in this groove you put either a copper or steel ring that sticks above the mating surface only slightly, like a mm or 2, or whatever it is, when you put your cooper HG on the block and torque the head down onto it, the raised O-ring smashes the copper HG tight to the head, in a sense it super compresses it around the cylinder. maybe WJM should tell us all for the 30th time how he did it....

~Josh~

I'm sure that with 200 ft lbs they would seal...or some kind of SUPER sealant thats a micron thick...

the company I sourced a while back (don't remember name) had a sealent that you were supposed to coat the gasket with after you did the heat-prepping (to make the copper soft) - I think it is/was intended to do exactally what you are talking about - they advised it even for O-ringed engines - not to mention that the gasket had to be PERFECTLY flat prior to installation, and could not be hammered/bent/creased

one note about o-ringing - it would probably be good if possible, to O-ring the coolant passages as well as the cylinders because the thermal load can be significant, esp. on turbo engines with the stock turbo coolant piping.

yes, coppers are more difficult to work with, but they also offer the most economically sound performance edge over stock