Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Victory is mine!!! Can you guess the problem?

1980 4wd wagon w/1600.

111k miles

converted to '83 EA81 Disty and Alt.

fuel pump in stock location under hood.

with stock hitachi carb...

idle would speed up, then slow down. gradually got worse, and when I would stop at a red light after being on the gas good, idle would drop way down and stumble at 500 rpm, and then die. I would restart it, and it was fine. happened more frequently when car was at operating temp.

gradually got worse over time.

tell me what you think it is, and stay tuned for more info on what I actually did....

if its something other than the choke, PLEASE let me know, because I have the same problem... it has been better recently but it is still there. I used to think it was a carb problem... but after cleaning and rebuilding twice, with not much change after the first time...

if its something other than the choke, PLEASE let me know, because I have the same problem... it has been better recently but it is still there. I used to think it was a carb problem... but after cleaning and rebuilding twice, with not much change after the first time...

Me too...:confused:

arggghhhh$%^$^$^%^& (more later)

okay, I originally thought choke too. Well, carb in general...

I had done some carb work on it earlier, so I just decided to put a weber on it... manual choke version converted to electric choke. (I don't like the way the conversion is done.) (more later)

all vac lines taken care of. vehicle runs good when I take it out for a spin. same symptoms show up.... seems like maybe the fuel is being restricted. new filter. still bad. I go to put on an aftermarket fuel pump, when I remember a NOS unidentified pump I had. check it. perfect match! so now it's got new pump on it.

had new plugs, but wires were old. replaced the wired.. no change. getting worse. now, after I shut it off, let it sit for a while. won't start. crank and crank, and a little bit of sputtering is all I get...

check coil. it was new when I did the ea81 IGN swap. did new cap and rotor then as well.

won't even start now...

just for kicks I check the disty cap, and the contacts in the cap have grooves worn into them... aha! disty shaft has excessive side to side movement.

replace disty and re-time.

starts everytime now....

this is where I was last night...

now back to this.....

arggghhhh$%^$^$^%^& (more later)

this morning, started right up. ran fine coming into work, until I'm almost at work, and idle drops low again.. doesn't kill, but runs rough... for a bit. after a bit of revving, it comes back to life for the rest of the trip....

crap in gas tank?

still possibly a choke issue...?

what's the proper way to set upan electric choke?

well, I'm putting a new coil in tonight.

there's nothing else left really.

I went to the post office at lunch today, and when I went to leave, no start again. kept trying and finally got it to start and idle at about 400 rpms, then was able to rev it up to normal, then drove it home and switched vehicles.

okay. just got in from the garage, and I'm freezing! changed coil, same thing... getting frustrated... but then...

I pull the top off the carb and start looking around. this is a carb I rebuilt. something doesn't seem right with it. It worked fine on another engine, but that was a year ago...

I happened to have another weber (manual choke) sitting out that's destined for my Mountain Grizzly rebuild, so I started to compare... noticed one thing....

the electric choke is set properly, but the fast idle linkage is gone! okay, but that doesn't account for the no start after it's been running a while...

I check and I have another electric choke weber sitting around :D dirty, but thankfully complete except for one circlip. so I swap out the carbs, hook everything up.

fires right up! Yay! Now tomorrow will be the true test, plus another board member wants to look at it tomorrow...

either way, it needed the new disty too....

HEY mic not to rub salt in to the wound but the brat I bought off you. Starts with just a flick of the wrist..ha..ha..ha:lol: :lol: :lol: :banana:

yeah, that was the hardest part about selling it. it was the most reliable of the soobs currently at my house :)

Had a similar problem in my 83 Ea81 after carby rebuild. Turns out that the clip? for the needle valve was causing the needle valve to stick occasionally. No fuel no run. Removed clip in rebuild, never had the problem again. That was a Hitachi Carb though.