Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Diesels?

hm. nope!

But does that take into account the transmission input shaft position? It sits really high on a subaru compared to most tranverse engined cars.

i see what you mean though. the crank on the TDI is all the way at the bottom.

That might mean raising the motor mounts a few inches and lowering the subie trans a few inches more. rrgh. guess my wagon wouldn't look too bad with a power bulge in the hood.

the vanagon guys run their TDIs at a 50deg tilt, even have a custom oilpan for such. nice touch.

I sure hope I get a lot when I sell my brat! :lol:

That DAIR-100 does look nice, but the price might be a bit steep. The deposit is 2500 GBP, about $5k Canadian. I can only imagine what the final cost is going to be.

It might not be as economical as we would hope either. It doesn't look too great at low loads. Mind you, I don't know what our gas engine curves look like at say 2600 RPM and 15-20 HP either. That is about what our cars run at 90 km/h.

In any case, to get good fuel consumption , we would be looking for 3.00:1 final drives to get the RPM down. This thing likes to run at 2000 rpm.

Rob.

there is no reason that subaru couldn'd build a opposed 4 or 6 diesel.

i just hope they take a leaf out of citron's book....i drove a 1900cc twin turbo station wagon a few years ago, now that thing could boggie, it would cruise at 140-150kmh, 90mph and get 25mpg at that speed top speed, i chickened out at 125mph and the car was still gaining speed.

Mazda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu all sold light diesel trucks in the US in limited numbers. US manufacturers used Japanese powerplants in diesel light trucks as well (Chevy Luv diesel ran an isuzu motor, Ford Ranger Diesel ran a Mazda motor and the small Dodge Pickup ran a mitsubishi motor {I think} also, International Harvester offered the Scout wiht a Nissan Diesel). I don't know why nobody sells them anymore. My Grand Cherokee is available with a diesel in just about every other country in the world. The conspiracy theorist in my suspects the oil companies are influencing the manufacturers and discouraging them from selling fuel efficient 4x4s in our country, but the realist in me agrees that the American image of diesel power is largely inaccurate.

the small Dodge Pickup ran a mitsubishi motor {I think}

Yup... I've got one. Mitsubishi made the whole pickup, not just the engine. The same engine was used in Ford Rangers from in '86 to '88.

there is no reason that subaru couldn'd build a opposed 4 or 6 diesel.

i just hope they take a leaf out of citron's book....i drove a 1900cc twin turbo station wagon a few years ago, now that thing could boggie, it would cruise at 140-150kmh, 90mph and get 25mpg at that speed top speed, i chickened out at 125mph and the car was still gaining speed.

My friends 1.9 liter diesel jetta likes cruising at 90mph, and gets about 42mpg at that speed. He said that he's had it to 120mph and it still had more... Driving that car blew away my conception of diesels as slow.

My friends 1.9 liter diesel jetta likes cruising at 90mph, and gets about 42mpg at that speed. He said that he's had it to 120mph and it still had more... Driving that car blew away my conception of diesels as slow.

You're not alone. I also know a guy that has one and its fast, efficient and quiet. 45mpg is typical for his.

:burnout:

You're not alone. I also know a guy that has one and its fast, efficient and quiet. 45mpg is typical for his.

:burnout:

I have heard that once you get an old Mercedes 300d up to 90, it has no problem moving on up, well over 100. Its just a matter of getting it there. It isn't real quick off of the line, or even below 60, but appearently it has some top end.

But then I have heard the same thing about the old 12 cylander (gas powered) jaguar XKE.

18 months ago Subaru Australia said that Subaru in Japan were currently working on a boxer diesel for the Forester. Can't be too far away now then!!!

There is a huge rush for small diesel cars in Australia that started about 6 months ago, Subaru need to join in or miss out.

Andrew

It would be great if they sent it to the US. I would be surprised if they did though. It would give the Jeep Liberty CRD some compettition.

Yeah. I know a number of SUV haters who wanted a subaru, but bought the liberty in order to run biodiesel. Even people who are buying Passat wagons (which you can get in awd diesel) instead of subaru's.

Yeah. I know a number of SUV haters who wanted a subaru, but bought the liberty in order to run biodiesel. Even people who are buying Passat wagons (which you can get in awd diesel) instead of subaru's.

I have lloked at both the Liberty and the Passat. Neither is suitable to tow very much. I presently own a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I was really disapointed when the Liberty came out. I don't like the lack of solid axles and the 23 mpg is really not that impressive for a turbo diesel. Especially when the vehicle is so small and light.

The Passat is very expensive but otherwise I like it.

I am pretty sure that use of biodiesel voids the warranties on both of these vehicles. I read something about this somewhere. Its total crap because in europe, where both the Liberty and Passat diesels are available, it does not violate the terms of the warrenty.

I am pretty sure that use of biodiesel voids the warranties on both of these vehicles. I read something about this somewhere. Its total crap because in europe, where both the Liberty and Passat diesels are available, it does not violate the terms of the warrenty.

The biodiesel in europe is quite a bit better quality though. They have a different spec for the iodine number (which is a measure of how fast it oxidizes under storage I think???), and soybean based biodiesel isn't good enough to qualify. They use rapeseed (canola) based biodiesel for the most part. I got one batch of canola biodiesel at the station here, and it did run a little better, but most of what we get is from soybean oil (stronger soybean lobby here perhaps...). Still runs better than petrodiesel. Of course, old indirect injection diesels like mine will also run from heated vegetable oil without problems, which can't be said for some of the new computer controlled diesels.

Can you get anything with a solid front axle any more? Most of the pickups seemed to switch to IFS around the mid 80's, and even the full size pickups are IFS now I think. And since SUV's are mostly on pickup platforms, they're all independent front suspension too. I know when I was in africa, the VW (rebadged toyota) diesel pickup we had still had a solid front axle, and it did great off road. Got about 28mpg too. I think it was a '94 model. But of course, it was never available in the US.

VW Vanagons were boxers, but a few were inline 4 diesels. The diesel Vanagons had a specific engine mount system to allow the inline engine to be put in a space where the boxer engine went. I wonder if you could get this engine cradle used, and adapt it to allow a VW diesel to be put in an E81 or 82 car...

I'd like to see Subaru permanently solve their head gasket problems with GAS engines before they move on to diesels. Diesel cylinder pressures are much higher and put much more strain on all components, including head gaskets. They would have to have a good track record of well over 100K miles before I'd buy one.