Ultimate Subaru Message Board

paint your car with rustoleum!

When I was a deckhand on the Mississippi, we used to paint the tugboats every spring with (If I recall correctly) Pettit Marine Epoxy Enamel. It's a single-part paint that thins with mineral spirits, flows beautifully, self-levels and really really REALLY sticks to bare metal. It's pretty expensive, though, like $80 a gallon, but it works a treat. Its so tough that multiple coats (like twenty years' worth of buildup) get to be structurally sound. It comes in a few different colors, which I don't know what they are, we always just used a dark navy blue and a semi-gloss white and gloss black and blended them for shade we wanted. I imagine you could clearcoat it if you wanted to.

if you want a cheap paint job you have got to check out this thread:

this is a MUST read.

http://xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1440&highlight=dollar

i think i posted it here too somewhere. i know this guy, saw the car, helped him fix it and was stunned at how it turned out. the $64 paint can paint job. it's amazing. i will say the pictures turned out very well. to my discredit it i told him not to try it and it was a waste of time. i stand corrected. he still has it, this is about two years ago. still holding up fine.

that's with no clear coat as well.

Just get it by the case, then it'll match. Some of the guys at the power plant I used to work at went on a tear with VW's--sanded them down, taped them off, and painted them with spray cans swiped from the storeroom (on the weekend, when no bosses were out, heh, heh). Pretty cool at shift change, four or five gray Beetles in the parking lot!

that marine paint that dude was talkin about works good. Even better stuff is POR 15. its made to paint over rust. it eats away the rust and seals it.

POR 15 is like 18 dollars a quart though. When it dries, it makes a good 1/8" thick layer if you mix it right

POR15 is great stuff, but I can't use it due to solvent sensativity, it's got a lot of Toulene or something similar in it.

I have a truck I am planning on spray-bombing in the next couple of months, I have found that if you do at least five coats over three coats of zinc-oxide primer, sand with 400 grit between 2nd-3rd coat and buff with green scotch-brite between the last couple of coats, then use a power buffer with finishing glaze, it comes out looking like a pro job.

I'm doing the hatch with OD Green, so I'm not worried about shine or anything.

This stuff is pretty amazing you dont need to spray on a top coat of it to seal it either. Pluss it requires very little pre prep.

http://www.rustbullet.com/Comparison/ProdComp.htm

if you want side by side comparisons with por-15 click on the brochure on the right corner.

a cool right up with some nice pics

http://www.coloradok5.com/rustbulletreview.shtml

Ok sorry for the hi-jack and the spaming.. but I think it is pretty cool.