Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Overfilling tranny cause grind?

I saw on nasioc that overfilling your gear oil can cause grinding. I had a 2nd and 3rd grind. I used mt90 and 1qt syncromesh when I changed the oil about 1.5months ago. It seems that the gears are grinding more and more everyday, although the first week was pretty good (which was like spring warmth). I suppose it could be due to the cold weather, but I thought the new oil would be alright in cold weather. I did overfill the tranny a lil, so whats the verdict? I am sick of this grinding. My reverse grind went away for a lil while also, but that is back just like before.

Um, have you tried taking some oil out? I have had success with a $4 hand pump that goes onto gear oil bottles, but using it with the suction-hose stuffed into the dipstick hole and pumping some out to get the level right. And if this doesn't work, search nasioc for Uncle Scotty's Cocktail....it's very nice.

I didn't try to tak any out since its been cold and wet. I only overfilled by maybe .1 or .2 of a qt. I am either going to try uncle scottys mix or this other stuff BG Syncro shift. 2 wrxers are using it and they love it, they dont have any grinds and can get into 1st now w/o coming to a complete stop. http://www.slowboyracing.com/shop.php?sid=PHPSESSID=fe9684c73e8a0b1df64fe9efd3f8e178&cat=883&PHPSESSID=fe9684c73e8a0b1df64fe9efd3f8e178

.1 or .2 quarts I wouldn't really worry about. A quart overfilled, yeah, definitely a problem. But that's not enough to make a difference.

You used Redline MT-90? I tried Redline 75W90NS and it made my 4th gear grind whenever I tried to engage it, cold or hot. But it shouldn't grind on MT-90. That's a GL4 oil.

yea mt90 and syncromesh....I think it might just be the cold weather causing this. Today it reached 40 and driving around all day it only grinded 3rd once. This was within the first minute of driving. After the car warmed up it was really smooth, so....