Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Custom Exhaust Idea- Loyale

bgd73

I have a common leak (as usual) near the flange at end of y pipe.The sound resignator is bad. I have customed it before my recent soob, but it let out a pop like a rally car after all was said and done, good and sealed, between every gear, engine hot or cold. I chose to go straight pipe at the time, to replace it cheaply.

So , I thought of this idea (to stop the rally car sound).

A cheap glass pack after the flange to take high temps,initial sound, then pipe back to muffler. It would be in the middle of exhaust system, replacing that sound resignator (mysteriously collects weight and looks clean at the same time, eventually getting so hot something melts in there..)

I did this on a v8, exactly, and it was so quiet , it whistled out the exhaust pipe! I'm hopin a mini-version on my soob would attempt the same.Anybody done similar? Of course it would all be the two inch OEM setup, etc.

If I understand what you are describing, that "resonator" is your front catalytic converter. Removng it may play havoc with your ability to pass emissions testing. If that is not an issue, then you have a lot more options.

My research on this site and other places indicates that a big chamber right at the Y-pipe is a good idea, it makes for about as good an exhaust system as one can get for this engine with the crappy siamesed exhaust ports. A BIG glass pack might work.

Rob.

Uhhh, I don't mess with factory convertors. The "resonator" some kind of mispelling? My soob tech book has catalytic convertor and sound resignator following after the Y pipe. I'm just gonna go with it. It worked on a v8, it'll work on a little soob .:)

The part right where the two pipes from the heads join together is the Catalytic converter. The rounder thing down the pipe behind the tranny is the resonator. Do whatever you want after the cat.

If you have a leak between the head's and the cat, it will backfire in the cat like mad. Eventually the ceramic honey comb in the cat will shatter and fall out the end of the pipe, and the popping will stop. So will the pollution controll of the cat, but whatever.