Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally built my snorkel **UP-DATE 3/8/06 NEW CARB ADAPTOR! NO TOILET FLANGE**

FlyB0y

Here are the components: 3" ABS pipe, 3" PVC elbow and toilet flange, 3" flexible RV sewer line, 2 3 x 4" PVC reducing bushings, 2 4" dia. sink strainers, 4" Fernco (rubber boot connector), 4" dia. circle of foam filter from an edlebrock washable filter, sliding door locks (the kind that screw to the sil), some misc. connectors for the 3" RV line and my favorite part, the "pen & pencil caddy" that I converted to an inlet. The pics wouldn't show the way the caddy looks so I will do my best to describe it. The caddy has a 4" center that has a cone shaped liner slightly smaller that comes to about 2.5" at the bottom, and the 4" pipe in the center has the larger diameter bell shaped outer part connected by four ribbs. It took a while to figure out how to do this, but I used a makita jig saw and cut slotts along the ribbs and a hole saw to make the bottom of the cone open. I also used a special 90 DEG saw for a drill motor and cut the inside of the 4" pipe at the bottom. In the end, I have a bell shaped inlet of about 7" in diam with a 4" x 2.5" venturi in the center, not sure how much effect the venturi has, but it looks neat :drunk::brow:

Any constructive criticism welcome thx :-p

Cool project. Since you asked, the venturi in the carb only serves a useful purpose in the carburetor, where it speeds up the air in order to allow the Bernoulli effect to draw fuel into the airstream. On the intake, it's just a restriction to airflow, and you would be better off without it, if you can trim it out.

Is there any connection between the Roto-Rooter truck in the picture and your snokel components???

Coincidence, I think not!

That was the first pic I saw. Looked at the componants, then the van, and smiled ear to ear. Looks good, like it coming out of the hood. A different take on snorkels.

Craig

Is there any connection between the Roto-Rooter truck in the picture and your snokel components???

Coincidence, I think not!:rolleyes:

Lookin Good,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

:grin: yes ... there IS a Roto-Rooter connection! 99% of the components are sewer pipe, and I could have used a better type of hose, (the RV flexible sewer line is not smooth inside) but the alternative comes in 20' sections for about $80 each!:eek: AND weighs about 75lbs per 20' section, so I went with the light (but not terribly light like a dryer hose) 3" RV hose

I like it but i would also have exited the car differently. Looks like it will work great
Yeah ... I have seen where peeps have done it out the side of the fender, but I decied I would go out the hood to avoid modding the inner fender and outer fender, and originally I was going ot simply notch the hood near where it meets the windshield, but that would have compromised the structural re-inforcements, and I didn't want to do that, so I just went through the hood the farthest place back that I felt was practical, and with the flexible hose it's no real problem. :burnout:

i totally dig the roof flashing.that is the first thing i looked at and went"what the hell did he do there?"killer mate.....killer
I dig it too but it would've looked a lot cooler coming out of the top of the fender a little closer to the windshield. At least that's where I'm gonna put mine on my '90, so I hope to h3ll it looks good! I like the sheet-metal work, very tight and professional.

*edit* is that a polished-aluminum intercooler scoop I see in that big photo?

I dig it too but it would've looked a lot cooler coming out of the top of the fender a little closer to the windshield. At least that's where I'm gonna put mine on my '90, so I hope to h3ll it looks good! I like the sheet-metal work, very tight and professional.

*edit* is that a polished-aluminum intercooler scoop I see in that big photo?

Well, actually it's a trimmed down Swiss Army mess kit :lol: I haven't yet seen a scoop that I really wana spend real money on, and all the cheap plastic ones on Ebay are just that ... cheap plastic .. I saw some hooded roof vents the other day that would be decient if they were cleaned up (all that I have seen have big wrinkles in the rounded parts) but ultimately when I have the cash I might make a "T" so I can choose either the snorkle or scoop and use a induction cowl like the one Qman has from a Mustang II *P.S. I am having issues getting my computer to recognize my boss's camera, so it might be a little bit b4 I have the new pics from under the hood done ...*

i totally dig the roof flashing.that is the first thing i looked at and went"what the hell did he do there?"killer mate.....killer
Thanks man! it took me a bit before I figured out how to make one work, at first I was just going to use a round "donut" type of flashing that would just be like a big grommet, but that would have a full 90DEG bend comming outta the hood, and that would stick-up alot more than the way it is now.

I curious, why did you move the battery to the spare tire area? Weight distribution? Or do you have something else where the battery used to be?
Actually, that is the second battery ;) I have 100W hella's up front and my winch, so I wanted a spare battery and I have a 94 AMP alt too :brow:

That adaptor look similer to what I came up with. But I haven't used mine yet. Maybe I will soon, I have a pretty bad airbox for deep water (whole front has been cut out to give better flow to the two carbies. I should run some pipe upto the spare tire well and have two pod filters I guess...

Looks pretty good. Pretty big pipe for a ?weber? though. Time for a test?

That adaptor look similer to what I came up with. But I haven't used mine yet. Maybe I will soon, I have a pretty bad airbox for deep water (whole front has been cut out to give better flow to the two carbies. I should run some pipe upto the spare tire well and have two pod filters I guess...

Looks pretty good. Pretty big pipe for a ?weber? though. Time for a test?

Thx! I suggest making a in-line filter like I have in the 3" line. It's really easy ... all you need are a 4" fernco (rubber boot with 2 hose clamps for joining to pieces of 4" pipe) 2 4" sink strainers that are made of fine mesh like that of a screen door, 2 4" x 3" reducing bushings and a 4" round disk of filter foam, I made mine from the foam filter of my Edlebrock filter (can be bought for $20 at a parts store and will make 5 - 6 of these filters) this set-up is completely waterproof too, though I don't know that I wana re-pack the grease in my bearings and make vents for my diff & tranny, mostly I made this to cut down on dust being ingested and I originally planned on putting in on of those "turbonators" in-line :cool: ... not sure I will yet :burnout:

Lookin good. Maybe this summer you can drive to bozeman and help me put one on. Then we can go test them out.:brow:
Sure man, I'd love to come out that way, but I have to say I am more interested in the snorkel's ability to get cleaner less dusty air up high than going deep river crossing ... i'm not sure I wana spend weeks later trying to dry it out and keep the mold from growing. :eek: