Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to unlock steering column with broken key? - EA82

Buying an EA82 sedan from someone who broke a screwdriver off in the ignition trying to start it after losing his keys :rolleyes:

Driving it back to my place would be the obvious choice, but I've never had the column covers off an EA82, so not entirely sure what to expect. I do want whatever I damage to be semi-repairable, but I'm not above using a chisel and a hammer if need be.

So what say ye? How shall I remove the ignition lock in a quick and dirty way? I'll pull the covers, and the steering wheel... what should I see in there and how do I bork it?

I'm always posting on how to fix stuff.... isn't it ironic that I have a question about how to break stuff? :grin:

GD

the lock is held onto the collum with 2 brake off bolts from the top , remove the plastic covers and with a narrow chisel trim the alum casting then use the chisel to turn the bolts out, this will allow the locked steering to turn, now remove the switch from the alum housing (opisite the key) with a small philips , use a key of screwdriver in the loose switch hanging by the wires

Either a very short or very long handled flathead screwdriver with a 90º bend (so that the tip is vertical when the handle is horizontal--you know what I mean) will also do the trick and will go easier on the threads than a chisel. In a pinch I've used a good amount of WD-40 (or Trizol if you can get it), a dime or penny and a set of bent-nosed pliers as well.

Good luck!

Later ones did, I know for sure mid-'88 (my dad's MY89 wagon) on up to my mom's '91 Loyale wagon both had flathead bolts instead of break-offs.

It's easier to take off the lock than the whole column especially if it's got a tilt wheel. (the tilt actually makes it easier to get the lock bolts off, but harder to undo the column plastic.)

I take all the keys I find in the Junkyard. Never know when you might need a spare key.

The snap off bolt heads are right on top of the column. The switch is held on with a small phillips. Take the switch off, and turn it with a screwdriver. That will start the car, but then you need to unlock the wheel through removing the cylinder.

A method I have used in the past is a chisel ground to be the size of the key. The chisel had a hexagonal body, which a wrench could be put on. I hammered the chisel into the lock, and smooshed the tumblers by cranking on it with the wrench. You can also drill out the cylinder, tumblers and all.

A Junk Yard that keeps the keys? Surely you jest. HAHAHAHA.

No such creature in these parts.

GD

In these here parts, it's still possible to copy the VIN from the doorpost and have the dealer cut the key. Just have the dealer call the j/y to confirm that the car's on its way to the crusher and in no risk of being stolen. (The parts counter at my local dealer knows me by name, they never ask anyway.)

A Junk Yard that keeps the keys? Surely you jest. HAHAHAHA. :clap:

No such creature in these parts.

GD

actually I saw one at the Foster pull-a-part a few months ago... it caught my attention when I was pulling a dash clock since you rarely see them with the keys in them...

once found one in a bay area jy with the battery still in it... tested the horn and some other fun stuff... :D

--Spiffy

you dont even really need a key. a lock cylinder out of one of the doors or out of the rear gate will work. Locksmith should charge about 10 bucks to cut a new key.

GD - keys in a car in a JY? come look at my yard at the shop. Every car out there has the keys in it.

Yeah - could have keys cut, but then I would have to replace all the locks for them to match. Too much hassle - I just want to get it HERE and deal with all that. I would rather break the thing and get it here - then mess with replaceing the column and cutting keys and yada, yada.

Yeah - the foster yard is a little lax about that sometimes - I have a switch from an 88 hatch on my parts shelves from there with the key. A rare find here tho, so not something I can expect to find is what I meant. Writing down the VIN is a nice idea tho - hadn't considered that the dealer would do it if they can verify the car is deceased. :headbang:

Oh and Torxxx - would love to come to Alaska sometime. Going to Cuba first tho.

GD

the other half lost his keys a while back...pulled the passenger door lock cylinder per the locksmith's orders (apparently this cylinder has the code needed to cut new keys), took that to the local locksmith and had a couple of new keys cut for it, cost was under $20 of i remember correctly.

brought everything home, reinstalled the lock cylinder and all is good.