Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so why don't it work??? Update page 4

Buddy

almost all aftermarket head units have a built in amplifier to power your speakers, although there are a few exceptions on the market. It is quite possible that the decks built in amp has blown. if your fuses are good as well as the connections to your speakers, I would say the decks amp is toast. it happens... try another deck in there if you can get ahold of one to verify that its the deck and not the car..

rllywgn

to prevent future amp failures, make sure the speaker impedence (in ohms) is within the amp's spec - if you use too low an impedence speaker, say 4-ohm on a set designed for 8-ohm or 16-ohm speakers, you will blow the amp

on the otherhand, it is OK to use 8 or 16 ohm speakers on an amp designed for 4-ohm, but 4-ohm speakers will give you better performance

Try unplugging it...no wait. First start the car, then turn on the radio, then unplug the radio, then plug it back in. That is how I get mine to work BWAH HAH. I suspect it is a ground issue but after cutting a few wires I kinda gave up. If anybody figures it out, post me on my post which is "radio fit in 1987 gl10."

Dude, all I listen to is tapes.

What's wrong with tapes?

WTF? I knew Spokane was rump roast-backwards... but not having CD's? Jeez, maybe you should be researching how to make your horse and buggy faster, not worrying about your subaru baja racer. You guys don't even have cars yet!

WTF? I knew Spokane was rump roast-backwards... but not having CD's? Jeez, maybe you should be researching how to make your horse and buggy faster, not worrying about your subaru baja racer. You guys don't even have cars yet!

It's even worse in Kansas - What's a computer?

Hey Tex what's a CD?

If i remeber right pioneer has one power line (red???) for its lights and a main power (yellow???) that powers everything else? you getting good 12V to all the power imputs? I might be butt rump roast wrong becuase its been awhile since i have worked on a pioneer. Sorry if i am

almost every factory stereo is gonna be the same for wires and colors coming out the back of the deck

yellow - 12v constant (memory)

red - switched power

black - ground

blue - remote

blue/white - antenna

orange - dimmer

grey & grey/black - speaker

white & white/black - speaker

purple & purple/black - speaker

green & green/black - speaker

sometimes theres more (usually) but that depends on the features of the deck... anymore these wires are universal between any manufacturer with the exception being factory units

rllywgn

better watch out, my horse eats alot of oats.....:grin:

I had the exact same thing happen to me twice. I have an aftermarket Sony and both times it was a speaker wire had gone to ground. It did`nt blow any fuses either and the service tech had told me that new units have a built in safety feature in case of a fault. Might be what your dealing with. Besides the fuse in line to my unit, there is also one in the back, kind of double protection, I guess?

if your useing a wiring harness to hookup speakers to the radio? make sure that the wires are hooked up on the other end.

i had one car that previous owner cut the factory speaker wires from the factory harness and reran new wires.when he sold it he forgot to tell me that he did that.(plus he took the new wiring)

also check the speakers.

if your useing a wiring harness to hookup speakers to the radio? make sure that the wires are hooked up on the other end.

i had one car that previous owner cut the factory speaker wires from the factory harness and reran new wires.when he sold it he forgot to tell me that he did that.(plus he took the new wiring)

also check the speakers.

well we did some rewiring to install the new deck. but i don't think that that could be the case. we followed the wiring colors exactly.

if you have a voltmeter verify that there is something flowing through the speakerlines at the speaker.. if you have a sedan go through the trunk and unplug the speaker and test with the deck on, if it shows no voltage the lines faulty somewhere.. or remove one of the speakers or use an extra and plug its terminals directly to the speaker outs on the deck, hang the deck out your dash to do this.

if you have sound your decks good if you dont it isnt

if there is sound that means your decks good and your speaker wiring is not.. rewiring it would be an excellent idea, the older subaru's use a common ground for the speakers (not the best). running new wire would also improve the sound quality..

hope this helps

rllywgn