Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ahahahahaha!!!1

Getting stuck in the mud has never been so fun. Today was my first day on the job at an orchard. The parking lot was too small for everybody’s cars and bordered on a field made of clay. Although you would think it was solid from all the grass growing on it. I and everyone besides Manuel parked on granite gravel, Manuel parked on the clay. At go home time, everyone leaves as me and Manuel are warming our engines up. He tries to leave (Chevy Blazer 4x4) and I see both his rear tires sinking and kicking up clay, so I run over and yell "stop stop, I’ll push you out!" or something like that. I put it in 4-lo and get onto the field to push him backward onto solid ground with my back bumper, but I don’t make it 10 feet before both my left tires are sunk too. Well now we’re in the crapper because we’re alone, stuck and locked in. We try digging, putting a log+rocks under the tires but nothing works (at all). Foutunately I have the Anderson Butte Destroyer in my hatch so I hop on and go looking for a phone. On the way out there’s a Caterpillar (city bus size) just sitting there and I thought it would be really cool if I could get us out with the massive diesel. Too bad the keys weren’t in it :( Lots of knocked doors with no answer (this is way out in the boonies too) and someone finally answers. I use his phone to call my boss to come unlock us and my stepdad who brings the 2WD Toyota. He waits at the gait for my uncle and his Cherokee while I use the truck and rope to pull out the GL out. Manuel doesn’t know how to drive stick and doesn’t speak enough english for me to give him a crash course, so the truck was alone in pulling it. Lots of tugs and jerks and the GL came out, but the rope breaks 2 or 3 times when we try to get the Blazer undone. Jeep arrives with tow strap and saves the Blazer which I was piloting. By the way, stock automatic 4x4 Blazers suck. The bad part is now the GL’s sterring wheel is shaking a LOT 30mph+. Might be time for a new axle(s) and I just got the driver side done!

Couple things you should always carry - a bit of plywood for a jacking platform, and some carpet. Using the stock scissor jack sucks, but it will get you high enough to put the carpet under the wheels. Usually works quite well unless you have dug deep enough to bottom out the body. The suction you get from having the floor pan in the goop is too much - have to start digging at that point.

Sounds like you had a good time anyway tho.

GD