Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Normal temp gauge range ?

What is a normal temp gauge reading when a Loyale is at operating temp? Even with weather in the 40's, not real cold, the temp needle on my car never gets about 1 needle width over the hash mark above the C. Seems low to me. Perhaps the t-stat is sticking open all the time. This may be part of my stumbling issue if proper operational temp is not reached I'm thinking. An engine running too cool would possibly cause drivability issues?

What is a normal temp gauge reading when a Loyale is at operating temp? Even with weather in the 40's, not real cold, the temp needle on my car never gets about 1 needle width over the hash mark above the C. Seems low to me. Perhaps the t-stat is sticking open all the time. This may be part of my stumbling issue if proper operational temp is not reached I'm thinking. An engine running too cool would possibly cause drivability issues?
Yeah, that's too low. Should be about 1/3 of max on the gauge when it's warmed up; a little under the middle. Sounds like t-stat sticking open, as you say. Get a new 180 degree thermostat--many people say get one from the Subaru dealer only, but there are differing opinions on this.

Are you getting hot air from the heater? If not, your thermostat is probably stuck open.

Getting anything but a genuine Subaru thermostat is a waste of time, it happened to me a couple of years ago: I put in a non-Subaru thermo on Thanksgiving, and it was stuck open before Xmas (and it gets cold here in December:eek: ). Replaced it with a gen Subaru unit, and I've had excellent heat ever since:clap: .

Are you getting hot air from the heater? If not, your thermostat is probably stuck open.

Getting anything but a genuine Subaru thermostat is a waste of time, it happened to me a couple of years ago: I put in a non-Subaru thermo on Thanksgiving, and it was stuck open before Xmas (and it gets cold here in December:eek: ). Replaced it with a gen Subaru unit, and I've had excellent heat ever since:clap: .

I get heat. I would not say it roasts you out at all, but it is say a 5 on a scale of 1-10 on the car heater index. When it was 15-20 deg out lately, the car was just warm enough outside with the fan on 3, but you had to leave it there, the car would not actually get warm enough to make you uncomfortable.