Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2wd justy question

i'm sure this has been asked in the past.(and yes i did a search)

has anyone taken a 2wd just with 5spd trans and convert it to 4wd??

i figure i'd need a complete rear-end/drive shaft and trans from a 4wd...

anything else? if anyone knows how/what's needed to do this,i'd appreciated any info thanks.

there's a mid-late 80s 2wd justy owned by someone that lives near by and i'm hopeing he'll sell it to me.

:grin:

(if things work out my way,i'll be posting pics)

My Friend and I are swapping an engine form his old 2wd justy into a junked 4wd justy. I suggest you do the same if possible. It is possible to do a 4wd swap but you would have to find a donor car anyways. And you can fit 13's on there if you havnt already done that, i had a justy for a while, wrecked it in the snow. check out the pic on my photos.

Clayton

Subie94, you should definatly go for that if you have the space/money. i was looking at one and the guy ended up junking it on me:mad: i kick myself for not buying it. they are pretty neat beat around cars, believe it or not, they have decent resale value too. i found a parts car with all the 4wd parts you might need.

after reading the last few posts,i think i'll go for it.gonna take her a test ride tomorrow and maybe talk to the guy about the price.(though it's a fairly low price)

Snag it - those are neat, and fuel injected. It's worth it for the low mileage MPFI engine it has.

GD

now even though it's fuel injected,do they still get a good mpg.he did mention that it might need a cap an rotor/does fuel injected come with a distributor? i know my 2.2 doesn't(but it's a legacy)

after reading the last few posts,i think i'll go for it.gonna take her a test ride tomorrow and maybe talk to the guy about the price.(though it's a fairly low price)

now even though it's fuel injected,do they still get a good mpg.he did mention that it might need a cap an rotor/does fuel injected come with a distributor? i know my 2.2 doesn't(but it's a legacy)

Some fuel injection does, yes - in fact all the EA series engines had distributors - Carb, SPFI, MPFI, and Turbo.

The Justy is MPFI, and I'm pretty sure it does have a disty.

FI is better for mileage, so no problem there.

GD

I have a 94 2wd, 5 speed, too. I drove it on a long trip staying at 55-60mph ,& level Florida highways & my best mpg, so far, is 46.1. Some of these had problems with the oil pump, so when you test drive it, watch for the oil pressure light to come on, while idling!! You can put into gear & let the clutch out a little so the motor rpm slows down, to see if light comes on, too. Faulty oil pump can lead to lower engine failure. Even if it does come on, though, that looks like it is well worth the money!

did ya snag that justy today?

mytwogirls.jpg

yup i did.now my legacy has a lil' sister. and i paid $175 for her.i think she needs a tune up real bad cause she has a real bad case hiccups at idle and when i give it gas.(please don't say timing)

(sorry to all 56k folks if pic is large)

i was thinking about making it a micro-rocket :grin:

in the future i'll be seeing about turboing it.

for now i'll just get it to the point were it's running perfect and mech sound.

next thing i'll be working on is checking the brakes.

i had to special order the cap,plug wires and air filter.out of three parts stores,none had them in stock.dealership didn't even have a filter instock.anyone else have problem getting these simple parts?

btw-anyone know the spark-plug gap?

a pocket rocket justy would be sweet. i think they have the same lug pattern as honda civics, so you can take your pick if you wanted to put some nice alloys on it.

i wonder how well a justy motor would handle the turbo though, it would be cool if an ea81 would fit in there:D

a pocket rocket justy would be sweet. i think they have the same lug pattern as honda civics, so you can take your pick if you wanted to put some nice alloys on it.

i wonder how well a justy motor would handle the turbo though, it would be cool if an ea81 would fit in there:D

i'm not sure how much boost they can take but i've read at another forum(justy) about how some are running turbos without a prob.

http://subarujusty.proboards20.com/index.cgi?board=engine&action=display&thread=1136629223

unless there's a way i can get the parts needed to convert to 4wd real cheap,it may be getting dropped to the ground.

i'll just lift the legacy.

(one for the road,one for the trail)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-AWD-Subaru-Justy-4DR-man-Good-engine-drivetrain_W0QQitemZ8041177423QQcategoryZ6783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if you find someone who needs a motor, you could split the cost of this one, and have all the parts you`d need for the conversion. the driveshaft is probly longer though.

a lowered justy with 14s would be sweet too:brow:

Yes, all those parts are hard to get. Wait 'til you find out you also have 3 different sized windshield wipers, too. I don't know of any dealers in my area that have Justy parts on hand--the nearest is about 30 miles away, and they've only got some limited old stock.

Yes, all those parts are hard to get. Wait 'til you find out you also have 3 different sized windshield wipers, too. I don't know of any dealers in my area that have Justy parts on hand--the nearest is about 30 miles away, and they've only got some limited old stock.

3 different sized wipers :eek: j/k ;) already deal with that with my legacy.

the justy only has two wipers.(maybe i lost the third one)

well here's a update on my justys running condition.

finished changing the cap/rotor/plugs & wires/air filter,but of course forgot to replace fuel filter(were is it located anyway?)

runs alot better.doesn't stumble so much.while it idles,it does shake for a bit then calms down,then shakes a bit,etc.so i'm thinking its gonna need so attention given to the fuel system.

the tube that goes onto the throttle body wasn't on correctly(bottom part of it was turned inward)so it wasn't sealing correctly.when removing the intake tubes i noticed what seemed to be fuel that came out of the T-body and into the intake.(i think it even got to the air filter)

:confused:

after getting her back together i took her for a quick spin around the community i live in and she drove pretty good.need to get used

to the clutch and the lack of power steering.

I really wouldn't worry about the shaky idle so much. If it's stumbling and giving uneven power delivery, you have a problem. If it idles a little on the rough side, don't pay much attention to it and remember it's got the charm of 3 cylinders.