Ultimate Subaru Message Board

did these cars ever come out of the factory?

Yes on both counts--but we never got the turboed hatch in North America. Also, as you probably know, the sedans were available with an automatic only if you ordered the turbo, the 4WD, or both.

Edit: I'm not sure about the EA81 sedan. The EA82 Turbo Traction sedan was offered in 1985 only, with the checkerboard interior; so was the RX.

No Turbo EA81 Sedans, sorry. Only Brat, Coupe, Wagon, and 1 Hatch ('82 prototype - used in the movie Cannon Ball Run).

GD

The hatch isn't a prototype, it was actually an aftermarket car built by Motor Trend magazine. It currently resides at WWU and has a fresh block but a VERY leaky turbo. There may have been a seperate hatch built for the movie but I am only going on pictures I have and from what I can tell from looking at the car.

EA81 RX models were not imported to the US. Also, they were not Turbo - they were dual-carb. Actually pushing more HP than the EA81T. Turbo was 95 HP, and the dual carb was 108 HP. There were special rally editions with even more insane engines - dual port heads and special carb setups etc.

GD

Now way! Did any other ea subes get dual ported heads?

What about the snazzy interior? When did that start? I have seen the checkerboards on the ea82 cars. I didn't know if it was offered on the ea81s as well.

Define "snazzy"--the GL-10 interior packaging started in '83 in the US, but I've never seen a checkerboard one. There was a sort of wave/pinstripe pattern on some 84 GLs though.

Oh, I thought that the RX got a checkerboard interior. If not checkerboard seats then something unique to designate it as a turbo or RX only. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Well...

Here in Honduras we got the EA81T (Turbo) in 1983.

The EA81T was only made in late 83 and the 84yr. It came in the Wagon, the Brat and the 2dr Coupe. All were 3spd autos with push button 4wd (single range).

The early ones only had oil cooled turbos until the dearlerships recalled them and added water cooling.

The engines were very easy to overheating, it usually would blow a head gasket and/or crack the heads if not shut down quick enough when hot. or if you try to put fresh water over the radiator, etc... when they overheat.

Other than that, they were fun cars, not timing belts to change. It will bolt up to all 5spd D/R trannies, but to do a conversion from carb to turbo is a major undertaking...

The engine crossmember, all the electrical from the dash forward, fuel system, etc. You basically need a donor car.

Look what I found: Those are "Turbone's" Pics. His Album is at:

http://usmb.net/gallery/album14

83RXCoupe.jpg

cleanengine1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Define "snazzy"--the GL-10 interior packaging started in '83 in the US, but I've never seen a checkerboard one. There was a sort of wave/pinstripe pattern on some 84 GLs though.

I have. Wife owned an '84 GL 4WD sedan when we were dating, the seats were black and grey checker. Not the big checkers like you find in EA82's, they were small ones. Actually more similar to the interior of her new Tucson. It was an immaculate car, too bad it kept eating transmissions.

Actually the GL-10 interior package started in 84, I had an 83 GL-10 that had normal GL interior, no fuzzy door panels, etc..

• 3 weeks later...