Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch

I am converting my gl-10 to a manual. I have never installed a clutch before and I need to figure out how to align the clutch disc. In the Chiltons repair manual it says to use a clutch alignment arbor to align the clutch. What is it and where can i get one? And does the pressure plate have to go on a certin way?

If you don't have a clutch alignment tool you can leave the 6? bolts that hold the pp on loose and then tichten them through the hole for the starter. Very easy to do this way, wedge the flywheel after you turn the motor to each bolt. Also whether you use the tool or not make sure the pilot shaft on the trannie is nice and smooth free of burrs, 100 grit works good.

ATB

I am converting my gl-10 to a manual. I have never installed a clutch before and I need to figure out how to align the clutch disc. In the Chiltons repair manual it says to use a clutch alignment arbor to align the clutch. What is it and where can i get one? And does the pressure plate have to go on a certin way?

If you go the tool route, many auto shops have the alignment tools for around 3 bucks - but make sure you get the one that fits your clutch, as there are at least two sizes out there

I've done it 3 times on different vehicles in the past year without the special tool. Just tighten the bolts enough to support the pressure plate, maneuver it with a rod/screwdriver so that it is centered by eyeball, torque the bolts to the correct value. When you lower the engine in place have the car in gear and e-brake off, so you can bump the car an align the shaft gear in through the pp.

Another qusetion I have is about wiring. I'm not that good a it, I can wire audio and put switches in but thats about it. On the 5 spd there are two little connectors and on the 4 spd auto there are two big ones and a little one. How do I wire the thransmission in? And how do I wire the neutral safety switch?

There's no neutral safety switch. Which is kind of cool, because if you're off-road and kill the motor, it's not always a good idea to slide backwards before you start the motor.

I took the auto out and put a 5spd in. Everyone said that if you don't rewire the neutral safety switch from the auto the car wont start.

Sorry. I was thinking about on the manual tranny. You should be able to just jumper across the leads for the neutral safety switch, but I don't have a wiring diagram to tell you which wires.

Does anyone have any wiring diagrams that shows how to wire the transmission in?

tou will have to figure out the wiring for the reverse lights, or simplt mount a pair of rear facing fog lights and a toggle and leave it at that, but if you got the reverse4 lights working you can use the fog lights in conjunction or independently

as far as the heutral safety, the car end of the connecotor for the AT shifter handle, its the 2 fattestwires in the iddle, jump them together and the key will work the starter

or just use a pushbutton:D

tou will have to figure out the wiring for the reverse lights, or simplt mount a pair of rear facing fog lights and a toggle and leave it at that, but if you got the reverse4 lights working you can use the fog lights in conjunction or independently

as far as the heutral safety, the car end of the connecotor for the AT shifter handle, its the 2 fattestwires in the iddle, jump them together and the key will work the starter

or just use a pushbutton:D

How do i wire the two connectors on the manual transmission?

the manual transmission has no nuetral safty swich allowing you to move your car with the starter NOT RECCOMENDED FOR LONG DISTANCES

No i'm not talking about a neutral safety switch on the manual. I talking about the two connectors coming off of the trans. They wont plug into the connectors the auto unpluged from. I don't kno where to wire those into.