Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Price of 86' brat

Found a brat in a junkyard

has a straight body it may or may not start up some dents and other body defects but nothing to major interior is pretty grungy

no jumper seats:(

The guy said he wanted $500 for it

I am thinkin that is askin too much

wat do u guys think?

I don't know man. The prices on Brats seem to be all over the place. Out here if it didn't have any rust it would probably be worth it.

Does it have t tops? what color is it? GL or DL? What kind of shape are the decals in? What about the tailgate? Does it have a slider back window?

Brushguard, rollbar or camper top? Are the wheels anything special?

All of this would add to the value obviously.

Found a brat in a junkyard

has a straight body it may or may not start up some dents and other body defects but nothing to major interior is pretty grungy

no jumper seats:(

The guy said he wanted $500 for it

I am thinkin that is askin too much

wat do u guys think?

Far too expensive for a junkyard Brat. If it were running and a little cleaner, I'd think the $500 would be okay.

It has the t-top and is silver no roll bar and some of the trim is missing and the tailgate is just ok

there was no major rust as far as i could tell

the wheels are in pretty crappy state

i will try to get some pics soon

hope that helps

Andrew (wagonsonly) knows more about the value of Subarus than I do. With that said, keep in mind that some of those trim pieces are getting hard to find. I think the chrome piece on the tailgate is particularly sought after but I could be wrong. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to fix it up and make it nice, you might look around. It seems like older subes in good shape less hard to come by out west.

On the other hand if you just want a brat to have fun in and tool around you could almost certainly be on the road for less than a grand if that motor isn't toast.

plus, there's a few board members here in Laramie/Cheyenne that have lots of parts for these cars like LUVMYBRAT. He only has 2 gen 2 Brats, 2 gen 2 turbo coupes and 2 gen 2 4wd wagons too. Then there's me which I only have a '89 RX and a '78 Brat now but my collection has been a lot more extensive. $500 wouldn't be bad but you need to post pics of it before people can decide if its worth the money or not. If you think its worth the money, the by all means, get it. My RX I bought from a junkyard because I thought it was worth the money. Now after a year and 6 months of having it and dumping $5000 into it, might not have really been worth it but hey, it'll be fun when she's done!

I dont know how to post obviously:lol: . But seriously. Buy it! if it runs that is, if it dont offer him 300 and still try and buy it. Junk yards are like pawn shops, cash talks. Talk him into some different wheels or another motor. In any case buy it! save it from the crusher, later if you dont want it, post it here and I'm sure you'll have no problem getting rid of it. hmmm.. 3 brats:brow:

I dont know how to post obviously:lol: . But seriously. Buy it! if it runs that is, if it dont offer him 300 and still try and buy it. Junk yards are like pawn shops, cash talks. Talk him into some different wheels or another motor. In any case buy it! save it from the crusher, later if you dont want it, post it here and I'm sure you'll have no problem getting rid of it. hmmm.. 3 brats:brow:

Actually, yeah, this makes a lot of sense. Forget what I said. Buy it. But do it like Luvmybrat said. Go for better wheels and a motor and also, try to talk him down on the price. Save the brat!

Probably going to make all the brat fans kinda sick but I let a brat go to the crusher that was offered to me super cheap. but that was before I became a member here and didn't know how popular the brats were to so many people....was a rust free t-top.... he just wanted to get rid of it and another soob car...hind site I'da bought it and at the minamum saved it's life and sold it or kept it for myself...I kick myself now. ~~Lucas

Nathan, $500 seems very fair, to be honest, i was so desparate that i paid $1000 for a running junkyardbrat with rust:eek:

but seriously, the ea81 was a pretty much bullet-proof motor, so getting it running should not be a huge problem, unless it had hg issues or maybe the tick of death. was it still fairly complete? the wheels would be easy to paint or replace. if you have the $500 to spend, it seems like a good deal, and if you decided you want out on it, i am sure you could get out of it without loosing a penny. pics would definatly help:brow:

Jon

get on edmunds.com and print off the fair market value for the car minus the wear and that will shut him up.:banana:

oh yea, make sure you check the rear inner fender wells (shock mounts), rockers, frame rails, and front inner wheel wells, these always rust in those places

Edmunds, ebay, whatever....

In my experience money talks and bs walks at the junkyard. If pick a reasonable number and show up with the cash and put it on the counter, I would imagine the odds are good that you will get your brat for the price that you want, or closer to it than if you hadn't tried.

I don't know about your neck of the woods there, but I'm not too far away here in Montana, and I would say 2 things ... unless it's really complete and runs, $500 is a high price for a roll of the dice from the JY ... I am guessing that they don't really know for sure on the value of it and are seeing what they can get for it. I got my latest brat for only

$75, (unconfirmed, but it's supposed to run just needs a battery) but it's pretty rusty and needs paint ... it's definatly a keeper, just needs alot of TLC ... if I were you, I would tell them $500 if it runs and only $300 if it doesn't ... I can help you find a decent one around here if your interested ...