Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looks like i'm buying a 91 legacy ss

well i was wondering what to check before i hand over the cash? aside from the obviouse?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"NO OFFICER I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS A FELONY"

JEFF-2005

First, check the Vitals, I usually taste the oil on the dipstick.Pull the oil cap, and look for creamy goodness-Creamy goodness is not good, its bad. Check The ATF, Smell burnt? Power brake it, and feel for the trans slipping. Check the tires, make sure they all are even worn. Diffrent color body panels? Look for signs of a hard hit. Legs have the spare in the trunk right? Pull up the spare and look for signs of rust. Turn in a tight circle and listen for clicking...better yet, crawl under and look at all the axles for torn boots. While your under the car, look for excessive subaru seepage.

Hammer on the car, make sure the shift is crisp. Turbo holding the boost when you do that? Pull the intake tube and check for excessive oil in the tube.Ask the owner not to warm up the car. That way, when you start it, you can test its cold start, as well as looking for valve guide smoke..Think SBC!

Good luck!

When are you going to check this thing out?

Thanks

Erik

THANKS IT HAS BEEN HIT AND THE PASSENGER DOOR HAS BEEN REPLACED THE GUY claims that it has been his daily driver for six months

honestly i hope the trans fries soon it will give me an excuse to swap in a manual but thanks for the dipstick advice

it's not in co so i'll be buying it from photos then taking

3day weekend to pick it up any one who knows me up for a trip to iowa?

he also says that one of the front cv's is going

got 128,000 on the clock

THANKS IT HAS BEEN HIT AND THE PASSENGER DOOR HAS BEEN REPLACED THE GUY claims that it has been his daily driver for six months

honestly i hope the trans fries soon it will give me an excuse to swap in a manual but thanks for the dipstick advice

it's not in co so i'll be buying it from photos then taking

3day weekend to pick it up any one who knows me up for a trip to iowa?

he also says that one of the front cv's is going

got 128,000 on the clock

Hah! I'm going to Iowa this weekend too. :grin: Gonna be in Ames. I'm part of Kappa Kappa Psi and there's a district convention there. If I wasn't gonna be busy all weekend with fraternity stuff, I'd love to come look at the car with you. It'd be way more fun than what I'm gonna get stuck doing there. I was trying to avoid heading to Iowa, but since our colony is paying for the funds to get the group of us out there, I have no excuse.

dude i'm not sure i'm buying it nore am i going to iowa i told the guy i need 6v weeks to get the cash for the car if he accepts that then i'm gonna drive out and pick it up if not then i'll keep looking

on a side note any one want to go to iowa with me i'm hoping to driveout there and drive the car back if not my truck should be able to tow it