Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Because I forgot to do a intro when I joined.

I was just thinking today, while cleaning up after changing both my ball joints (I now know what FlyB0y was on about when talking about going thru water with bad joint boots.) That I never done a intro post. So I thought I might do one now, 13 months down the track.

Howdy people. From Australia (the place everything costs much more dollars.) I bought my subie ute from a guy north of adelaide and a week later joined the forum. It's been great reading, very helpful. Although I must admit I have had to learn myself when it came to fixing my car. It's a little different because it has the dual carb EA81 engine. I've had oil leaks out of the exhuast studs, I had to self troubleshoot that one, no one seemed to know where the oil was coming from. It looked like the left rocker cover was leaking, but after 3 new gaskets and 5 different methods of fixing it, it still didn't stop. So I looked around and saw that the oil was coming out oh the stud thred. What went wrong was I striped the stud out, drilled it, and put in a helicoil type insert. But I drilled too far so there was a hole going into the oil gallary where the push rods go. After trying to stop it with weld-glue the insert pulled out and striped its thred. So I got a pro to put a tapered alloy block in the hole and weld it in, then put a real helicoil in. Soon after that broke out. Now, I had already pulled the head off twice and was getting EXTREMELY P***ED OFF. I pulled the head off again, drilled a little hole into the side of the head going into the tapered alloy block and heilcoil, then put a screw in there, used a thred cutter to clean out the heilcoil (because there was a screw going into it) and filled the top with weld-glue to stop oil from coming thru. So far its held up, lets hope it stays that way. So I am pretty cluey when it comes to taking EA81 heads off (I've done 4 in total... in less then 8 months, on the same car!) Gotta love brain storming!

I have rebuilt some axles (drive shafts that come off the diff, if you don't under stand what axle means) a few times, first time I done it wrong and broke the inner CV's race. I put the race on the wrong way round. Took a fast corner and it pulled the CV joint apart, breaking the race. I had to fix it at one of my mothers friends place with barely any tools, was hard and took a long time, But when I got home I changed the race over and it was back on the road. BTW, if you don't know, a race is the thing that holds the balls in, and goes on the end of the shaft.

I've changed one of the rear wheel bearings, with my dad's help. And the latest thing that has been done, just today, was the ball joints on the bottom of the front struts. After them getting very wet with basiclly no boots that kinda got creaky. So I pulled some others off a wrecked wagon I have with good boots and pulled them apart, cleaned them and greased them. And put the new ones in, totaling about 6 hours work by myself. I also used a niddle and syringe with grease to fill up my steering ball joints (one of which was full of water.) I am hoping that them being full of grease will stop water from getting in them for a while to come.

So, as I already knew, but now much more reinforced, the best way to learn is by doing. Well, just about the only way I learn anything is by doing. And I only do it if I want too. Although, this forum has given my much knowlage about what can be done, how to do it, and why, to these little beauties of cars! I hope you use that $10 wisely admins! And thank the loyal USMB members (or should I say subaru forum addicted guys and girls) for all the info. I hope I can start to share it all back with newbies.

I've also done plent to my ute. I found a rollbar at a wreckers. Got a bullbar too. Added two spotties. Painted the wheels back to white. Put 27x8.6/14 M/T's on (Kumho Venture's.) Done some work to the interior. Made up a new piece of lift kit because it fell out somewhere.

And I don't plan on stopping yet. My mum always says I like modifying more then driving. I think she may be right.

To all thoughs who actually read the whole thing, thanks for reading!

Even though I hate grease, one of the best things in my life is fixing and playing with my subie. Even after all the things that have gone wrong, I still enjoy it so much when something goes right. If ya wanna chat, PM or email me. I always like talking to fellow subie addicts! and don't forget to check out my site, I know its small, but I'm working on that right now.

Catchyas all later in some other post!

Welcome, in a semi-official sense! Australia and NZ have always been my dream vacation goal. I am a bit envious that you live there, but then again, there are things here in central Calif you have got to see.

I always found it interesting that Subi Corp. chose the Aussie angle to promote their cars. It was a bold stroke, promoting a different kind of performance.

Welcome, in a semi-official sense! Australia and NZ have always been my dream vacation goal. I am a bit envious that you live there, but then again, there are things here in central Calif you have got to see.

Yeah, I have a American friend who lived here for 8 years. But then he moved back to the US with his family a few years back. He has already visited me (and his other old aussie friends) twice now, so I really need to have a holiday over there. I should line it up for when you guys have a big subie meet over there. But at the moment I have no job and I owe my brother a fair bit of money (thanks bro for the interest free!) I'd also like to drop by Hawaii on the way over! :):D:slobber::rolleyes: