Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New gauge install with pics and questions.

Ok,

So I let Noss borrow my wagon and he told me that it puked up some coolant and was generally over heating but the gauge was still showing cold... so I thought he was nuts but went to wally land and baught some cheesy gauges and put them in anyway... It came with a oil pressure, coolant temp and Amp gauge, 2 of which I have hooked up.. the old pressure I sneaked into the turbo light port and retained the stock gauge.

100_0300.jpg

Then to hook up the coolant temp I actually pulled the stock sender and replaced it with the new sender...

100_0299.jpg

All in all the install went good, except when I forgot to tighten the gauge end of the oil pressure gauge:eek:

100_0298.jpg

Ok, now for the questions.. on the temp gauge it barely gets to 190... but Ronis XT Turbo rides at about 210 all the time... is 190 about par for my 87 SPFI? Two... My oil pressure when its cold and being revved will shoot off the gauge to like over 100 psi... but then when its warm it'll go to 80 and then gerk down to 60 (which I'm sure its supposed to do) and trouble with this high oil pressure... Lastly.. Wheres a good place to hook up the AMP gauge?

Thanks!

Mmmmmmmm clean wagon

100_0297.jpg

--------------------------------

~Phil

Only lowered FWD 5-speed XT-6 evAR

1987 Lifted "outback" Wagon

84 lifted BRAT kinda for sale

Gen 1:32 "and on the end of the sixth day,

God created signatures. And God saw that it was good."

Rick plus RWD = Sweet Jumps
Whatever one is harder to blow up.

Thanks... I love the way my wagon looks too, even matte.. The best time is right after I've washed it and the white letters on the tires are really white again. I always appreciate comments on it... As far as the amp gauge goes, you are right it need to be hooked up "in line" but I'm not sure wheres the best place... I actually ran the wires through the firewall and was corn-fues on what to disconnect to run these through, so I stopped and decided to ask the best of all places.....

Jeff... I'm EXTREMELY BUSY at the moment trying to find time to prep the 6 for the trek to The Dragon... but we could probably find some time to break some things. ;) Maybe not this month, but soon

--------------------------------

~Phil

Only lowered FWD 5-speed XT-6 evAR

1987 Lifted "outback" Wagon

84 lifted BRAT kinda for sale

Gen 1:32 "and on the end of the sixth day,

God created signatures. And God saw that it was good."

Rick plus RWD = Sweet Jumps
Whatever one is harder to blow up.

ok just a couple questions, I just got the same gauges but larger (2") and installed them on my 88 mpfi turbo sedan..

I ran into a problem on my oil gauge only in the sense that i pulled the wrong sensor out of the oil pump, my car didnt come with an oil pressure gauge but has an oil pressure switch and a plug where the oil pressure sensor should be... so to the point... it looks like your oil pressure sensor is there but the pressure switch is not? or is that just a difference between cars with and without oil gauges from the factory?

is your temp sensor mounted near the t-stat housing? if not.. that may have something to do with your temp readings being off a lil..

i think it came out very well... nice...

rllywgn

Ok, now for the questions.. on the temp gauge it barely gets to 190... but Ronis XT Turbo rides at about 210 all the time... is 190 about par for my 87 SPFI? Two... My oil pressure when its cold and being revved will shoot off the gauge to like over 100 psi... but then when its warm it'll go to 80 and then gerk down to 60 (which I'm sure its supposed to do) and trouble with this high oil pressure... Lastly.. Wheres a good place to hook up the AMP gauge?

Thanks!

Get some heavy guage wire 6 or 8 then run two pieces from the battery area into your guages. Disconnect the small wire that goes from the battery to the fusable links and hook one end up there and the other up to where the small one came off the battery. Don't start the car but turn the key and lights on. Look at the guage and it should show discharge. If not reverse the wires. Start the car and it shoud read just a bit above 0.

Hush

The end of the wire that you remove from the battery to hook to the amp gauge will be the positive or charge end. For safety, I would recommend you install about a 100 amp fuse in the line at the battery connection. This wire to the amp gauge will be hot at all times and if it gets shorted somehow without a fuse to protect it, there will be a real quick problem in the wiring and maybe a fire in your car.

I prefer a voltmeter to watch the charging of the battery. It is easier to install and safer.

The temperature sounds fine as it appears you have a 190 degree thermostat installed and would guess that this is the correct one to use in your car. I would be more concerned about the other car. It sounds like it may be a little too high.

Be careful of the plastic oil pressure line. If it rubs on anything or is close to a heat source, you could have a real mees on your hands.

Already had that problem. Kingbobdole, the readings you are reporting sounds appropriate for your car. My wagon will get very high oil pressure when its cold, but I try to not rev it up when it is cold. The oil temp will be around 225 cruising on the freeway. I still need to hook in my water temp gauge though

I knew the AMp gauge was kinda dangreous, so I've been thinking about not hooking it up... Thanks everyone else that had suggestions on my car, it really helps...

I ran into a problem on my oil gauge only in the sense that i pulled the wrong sensor out of the oil pump, my car didnt come with an oil pressure gauge but has an oil pressure switch and a plug where the oil pressure sensor should be... so to the point... it looks like your oil pressure sensor is there but the pressure switch is not? or is that just a difference between cars with and without oil gauges from the factory?

Kinda, I think I understand what you are asking... but basically on the pic, where I mounted the cap. tube for the new gauge is where the indicator for the light is on turbo cars or cars with out gauges... Mine had a plug... the big round thing below it is the original sender still in place running the gauge on my dash.

Thats a sweet yellow XT in the back.

Thanks.... just wait till June... I'll be vicious:dead:

ahh that makes sense.. i wonder if mine has any ecu function (oil pressure switch) or if its just there for the oil light, ill just unplug it... but i dont know the consiquences of that.. also i cant find an adaptor to fit the plugged hole anyway..

rllywgn

ahh that makes sense.. i wonder if mine has any ecu function (oil pressure switch) or if its just there for the oil light, ill just unplug it... but i dont know the consiquences of that.. also i cant find an adaptor to fit the plugged hole anyway..

rllywgn

IIRC the oil pressure is controlled mechanically... the indicator is ONLY for the light on the dash... My wagon didnt come with one since I had a guage stock... so you are safe to unplug it... need a plug? just go to a yard and find a car with a gauge... theres on in there... I have a few of them if you like too

i had it plumbed into the pressure switch location for a couple days with no problem.. disconnected after i discovered it wasnt the sensor, atleast until i find out if its safe to run or not that way.. adaptor does fit that hole

rllywgn