Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 into Loyale

DMX

I have a real nice EJ22 from a 91 AWD AT Legacy, just redid the whole front end, running smooth and strong. The fluid coupling on the auto tranny gave out and made srachpnel in the tranny.

I'm thinking putting the engine into a 4WD loyale that has a leaky EA82.

Questions: is the GL better than a Loyale for this, and in what ways?

What do I need to do the conversion - other than the right tools and a little bit of nuts?

Well, the main thing you need is an adapter plate to bolt the EJ22 to the Loyale Tranny. I sell them: http://mroseusa.com

There are many other considerations to doing this swap, please use the search function, you will find tons of info in no time. Once you've researched a little bit come back with some specific questions and everyone will be glad to help. :)

The GL is a better choice for swapping in an EJ22 because it has a dual-range tranny which is a necessity offroad and for running larger tire sizes. You can easily swap a GL tranny into your Loyale.

If you don't plan on doing much offroading or running larger tires, than you don't need dual-range, and you may want to look into doing a full drivetrain swap from an AWD EJ.

Hey, does your flywheel service include a rebalance? (I already have had mine redrilled. FYI, I paid $50 for that and will pay $30 for a rebalance this week so your price is within reason for the service IMO!) just curious.

Andy

Well, the main thing you need is an adapter plate to bolt the EJ22 to the Loyale Tranny. I sell them: http://mroseusa.com

There are many other considerations to doing this swap, please use the search function, you will find tons of info in no time. Once you've researched a little bit come back with some specific questions and everyone will be glad to help. :)

The GL is a better choice for swapping in an EJ22 because it has a dual-range tranny which is a necessity offroad and for running larger tire sizes. You can easily swap a GL tranny into your Loyale.

If you don't plan on doing much offroading or running larger tires, than you don't need dual-range, and you may want to look into doing a full drivetrain swap from an AWD EJ.