Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Happy new soob convert. XT Turbo! Advice?

Hello all,

Just thought I'd post about my first Subaru and say hello. Been reading the forums for the last couple of weeks and really appreciate all of the wisdom and information available. Anyhow, here's the fun part:

1986 Subaru XT 2WD Turbo

Picked her up for $350, *running*. Even got to drive her home! Well, most of the way.. Lost the driver's timing belt when I was just a couple miles from the house. Yay non-interference! Only 150k miles on it! TOD, but I'll be fixing that with some Mystery Oil quick enough.

Only 2 real "problems" - exhaust shot from catalytic back ( common, I hear. ). I'm fairly proficient with metalworking, so I'll be doing most of these repairs myself. Other than that, just a sticky clutch cable. I think she'll pass inspection after that!

Anyhow, thought I'd list out what I was doing to her ( set for over a year ), and see if anyone has any further suggestions:

1) Obviously, replace all the fluids. All, including brake and power steering.

2) Replace timing belts, tensioners and idler. Incidentally, had to replace the passenger side timing belt cover b/c a previous owner stripped the nuts on it. Yay for junkyards! Already found my parts, and located soobs for future stripping. And started collecting spare parts! So it begins....

3) Replace camshaft seals.

4) Replace crankshaft seal.

5) Inspect oil pump tolerances, then replace seals/gaskets.

6) Replace water pump. ( scored a brand new one on ebay for $15! )

7) Replace all hoses.

8) Replace clutch cable. ( sticking real bad )

9) Replace drive belts.

10) Check pads/cylinders ( brakes worked great when I was driving her home, so I'm prolly good on calipers )

11) Replace filters: oil, fuel, air,

12) Backflush radiator.

13) Replace thermostat.

14) Replace plugs/wires.

15) Replace cap/rotor.

16) Replace O2 sensor.

17) Replace exhaust gasket.

18) Replace valve cover gaskets.

19) Replace oil pan gasket.

20) Replace PCV Valve.

And of course, I'll be checking/inspecting everything else possible.. Timing, charcoal container, wheel bearings, etc, etc, etc. I won't bother listing all of that stuff out. :)

Anyhow, if you know of something I should definitely replace, drop a note on it. Just remember I'll be checking almost everything else about the car, and replacing as necessary ( mounts, shocks, brake lines, etc, etc ).

Cheers!

Welcome to the Board and great score on the XT Turbo, even if its 2wd. Actually, its faster than a 4wd, for obvious reasons. Hope you got the right waterpump, theres a long shaft and short shaft for turbo's. It depends on the AC, if its dealer installed or factory.

Well, at $15 off ebay, and considering I don't absolutely need it, I'm not too worried. But that's good to know.. Spare parts for my collection if it doesn't fit.. ;)

Here are some tasty pics of the timing belt implosion. Warning: I haven't resized them yet, so they're huge pictures:

http://www.mrroot.net/subaru

Welcome to the Board and great score on the XT Turbo, even if its 2wd. Actually, its faster than a 4wd, for obvious reasons. Hope you got the right waterpump, theres a long shaft and short shaft for turbo's. It depends on the AC, if its dealer installed or factory.

...Well...

First of All: Congratulations on your New XT! Good Car Ever! :burnout:

I´ll Sugest to replace all the small hoses... if they are the original ones, they are almost to break down; but they´re cheap. But this is not really cheap: I Sugest to inspect or Change the Thermostat Valve, and the Radiator Hoses... Also check for leaks of Oil under the Engine... Well, some Li´l Leak is "Almost" normal... but check it for any future trouble.

Also: take each corner of the car Up, with the Jack; and check each weel for looseness on the Ball Bearings... Change if Nessesary.

One Last: Change the grease from the Constant Velocity Joints with Good new one.

I think that´s very important to do, with the "All Fluids Change"...

Good Luck! th_Sonrisa3.gif