Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 turbo legacy center diff question "free car"

i guess i have a reputation for owning subarus, because yestterday a lady calls me at work, and says some guy told her i collected subarus... i laughed and said, why what you got?

its a 92 awd legacy turbo wagon auto transmission. heres my question.

she said the cv axle was clicking for a long time, then all of the sudden it stopped. so i figure it broke off, and is spinning in side the boot, still held inplace. she said it goes down the road just like normal with it broken.

on transmissions with a viscious center diff this will mess everything up right?

is this auto tranny an open center diff, or viscous, or is it something totaly different because its an auto? thanks

oh ya, only has reverse when its cold, or hot forget which one, but its free:banana:

you're going to want to flush out that tranny.. alot... if it drives around w/ the fron spinning like that it could heat up that fluid pretty fast.

other than that... great catch!

i think the fluid may help your reverse too :clap:

i guess i have a reputation for owning subarus, because yestterday a lady calls me at work, and says some guy told her i collected subarus... i laughed and said, why what you got?

its a 92 awd legacy turbo wagon auto transmission. heres my question.

she said the cv axle was clicking for a long time, then all of the sudden it stopped. so i figure it broke off, and is spinning in side the boot, still held inplace. she said it goes down the road just like normal with it broken.

on transmissions with a viscious center diff this will mess everything up right?

is this auto tranny an open center diff, or viscous, or is it something totaly different because its an auto? thanks

oh ya, only has reverse when its cold, or hot forget which one, but its free:banana:

You cant drive above 50 mph like this, but you can safely drive around town. At 50 or less the tranny just thinks your driving in circles. There is a clutch pack that applies the AWD only.

if i was on my own puter instead of a 7yo laptop i would fully explain.

Has reverse when cold i would bet. the fluid is thicker then. The reverse band is shot, and i would bet that 2nd gear is not far behind.

nipper

oh the plot thickens... so the first call was from a female. i go to arrange pickuptime, and a guy answers the phone... "ya shes here, but i can help you if your calling about the car" he says. i asked his address so i could come get it. then he starts talking about how good a car it is. how the only thing wrong with it is the bad cv. he doesnt even mention the bad tranny, says he wants 5or6 hundred for it, "it goes like a bat outta hell"guess he thought that was a selling point . i said yesterday she said free, and i rarely pay over 100 dollars for a subaru.

long retarded conversation short, i told him to call me when the city is about to tow it, and he will take 50 bucks for it...

hehehe, i think the lady will call me back, who would buy a subaru with a broken tranny :lol: