Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horrendous screeching from Torque converter *Fixed*

86 GL wagon, SPFI, 2WD auto

Just got the car running again. When I start it up, there's a horrendous metalic screeching coming from the torque converter area. Fluid levels are fine, etc.

When I turn the engine over by hand, I can hear a little scraping at certain points in the rotation from the TC.

History:

Fixing this car up for a friend. He had a JDM engine put in 10,000 miles ago. Sometime last year sprung a coolant leak and overheated it. Took it to a shop, where they re-did the heads, put it all back together, and got the timing belts on wrong.

Needless to say, it ran like crap, so not wanting to spend any more money on it, parked it in a field. At some point he also took the radiator out, and had one of the lines to the trans cooler blocked with a bolt.

When he got it back from the shop, besides it running like poo, it didn't make any strange noises.

I read a couple threads where people found their TC spinning not quite true; this one looks to spin just fine (if that makes sense).

When I put it in gear the idle drops like it should. The car is still on a dolly, otherwise I would maybe try to move it under it's own power.

So... any ideas as to what's causing this noise? I have a couple ideas, but will wait to say them to avoid going down the wrong path...

Thanks,

-Dave

For those of you that dont have any real insight to add and wish to be a post whore................go play in OT:cool:

For those of you who don't have a sense of humor, check my other posts. There's a lot of useful information in them.

Check the little plate on the bottom of the engine bellhousing. it is held on with two 10 mm bolts. Just unhook the exhaust and unhook the engine mounts and pick up the front of the engine 3 inches with a engine hoist. right at the x-member there will be plate.

It will bend up into the teeth on the torq converter and make a nasty noise. I did that last week on my car when I did the clutch

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a break in the weather long enough for the driveway to dry out so I could work on this car :rolleyes:

Turns out it was that little metal guard below the bellhousing. Somehow it got bent up into the torque converter while it was sitting on a dolley for 6 months.

Dropped the exhaust, removed the two engine mount bolts, undid the intake at the air box, removed both rad hoses, and was able to jack the engine up quite a bit actually.

You're able to get to the two bolts holding the plate on from either side of the engine on top, and also from the bottom.

The plate had obvious scratches in it from where the TC was hitting it. Replaced it with another plate I had laying around.

Now an oil change with seafoam to hopefully help get rid of the ticking.

Thanks all for the ideas,

-Dave