Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering Quickner..RALLY CAR BUILDERS! Anyone ever Installed one!?

Helllo USMB! :) its Luigi again with another crazy outlandish quesiton!

Steering Quickners... has anyone ever used one or installed one? if so, how difficult would this be to install?

it looks liek this.. :

http://www.howeracing.com/Steering/Index-Quickener-Quickener.htm

http://www.metalmarks.com/images/Dscn2860.jpg

ANY info on it would be cool! thanks!

Luigi

I know XSNRG put an XT6 steering rack into one of his rally RXs and he said the steering ratio was much quicker vs. the stock EA82 powersteering rack. He did a write up on it in a post but you'll have to searchf or that one cause he did it about a year ago.

as far as i understand... this does NOT eliminate power steering... its used in conjunction wtih it....

ive heard about the XT6 steering... about how something is special about it... but after reading and searching.. haven't come up with a straight answer.

*shrugs*

thanks!

what is it you'd like to know about the XT6 power steering?

the dozens of XT6's i've owned had it and i swapped the entire set up into my EA82 series XT Turbo. very easy swap mechanically speaking. now getting the electronics to work is another thing, but you could always power it constantly and remove all that XT6 computer controlled speed sensitive, input sensitive assiting gizmo stuff.

i was told it's a quicker ratio rack, fewer turns lock to lock. and i get to dump the belt driven pump which was my main goal.

If there is any difference, manual racks will be SLOWER than a power one.

ain't that the truth.my justy has manual and i have to get used to taking corners slower then i would if i was driving my legacy.

i may have to either look into something like the quickner or something.granted it's not as squirly at highway speeds like the legacy is.

(real scary when you barely touch the wheel and it feels like it's all over the place)

if you are willing to do the fab work a steering quickener could work.

I personally just swaped in a remanufactured rack designed for the XT (not xt6) in my gl10 wagon.

It tightened the steering ratio just a little. the original was aprox. 3.7 turns lock to lock. the xt unit was about 3.4 turns. thats just my observation of before and after.

also note the pasenger side bushing is different. you really should order XT bushings to go with the rack.

problem is the new stupid rack is not set up properly. it turns real nice to the left but hard to the right. oh well guess I get send it back for waranty.