Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to find wheel bearing housing

Well I have snapped the bolt that sits above the steering ball joint and fear that I will have to replace the whole housing:banghead: . So where other than a jy can I find one. I have yet to try the local part stores. Do you have a website that you can give me to look for one.

it is for a 87 brat

not to sound too dumb but should I drill it out and try to extract it or drill a bigger hole and retap for a larger bolt?

I have not put any pb blaster on it yet. I snaped it where the thread side is in the housing. I was thinking of letting it set in pb and then put a very small bit of jb weld on the other part of the bolt and then trying to unscrew it again. Since I had no lube on it the first time I tried to pull it.

any one know that size of that bolt off the top of there head. Not the driver sizes but the bolt diameter. I am looking for a tap set right now

how do I know that my pilot hole is center for the tap the bolt is broken below the serface. I can get to the back of the bolt on the other side.
If it's broken below the surface, put a nut or a few washers of the correct size to center your drill bit and drill a starter hole. Then you can go to a larger size and use an easy out to remove it. Use lots of PB Blaster and let it soak for a while first. If that doesn't work, a welding torch will probably break the rust enough to remove it with the easy out. Good luck with it.

If necessary, I'm sure someone on the Board can pull the entire assembly off an '84 wagon or '87 hatch (should be the same) and send it to you.