Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Im Embarassed to ask this guys but need basic info on 86 Brat Front Disc Brakes??

I feel kinda like a goof to ask this but I need to do front brakes on a 86 Brat.. New Rotors and pads... What tools do I need... Do I need a slide hammer to get the rotors off???? What exactly do I need and how much of a pain is it... I have done disc brakes on GM, Nissan, Dodge and found them to be easy.. But with a "Mitsubishi Mirage" it was a slide hammer pain in the rump roast.... Thanks Joe

You'll just need your basic toolset. PLus a 36mm socket (or crescent wrench) tool pull the castle nut off. An impact is a plus but not required. Um...I've done brakes by undoing the castle nut, and the four 14mm(headed) bolts that hold the rotor to the spindle. And you just tap the end of the axle stub with a soft faced hammer (better keep the castle nut on, but loose).

Oh yeah, that brake cylinder...you need a special tool, or just a pair of needle nose pliars. You have to open the bleeder and twist it clockwise for it to go in. There is another way of doing it without opening the bleeder...anyone know?

WOW 36mm socket.. Maybe I can get that cheap at Auto ZOne or something.. I picked up recently at Harbor freight that unique Brake tool Kit to turn back the piston.. On sale 19.99 has like several adapter disc for different cars... I was worried about getting the rotors off or stripping something.. Is it true that when I put the axle nut back on it should not be real tight?? Just snug.. someone told me that recently.. I cant recall what the deal was with the Mitsubi-Junkie car other than I had to rent the slide hammer and it was a pain in the rump roast getting them off.. Can you offer any other tips or advice... Thanks Joe

You will need a 36mm socket for the axle nuts and a special brake tool to turn in those pistons on the calipers cause you can't just push them in like most brake jobs.Pretty straight forward if you are experienced like you said.

You'll just need your basic toolset. PLus a 36mm socket (or crescent wrench) tool pull the castle nut off. An impact is a plus but not required. Um...I've done brakes by undoing the castle nut, and the four 14mm(headed) bolts that hold the rotor to the spindle. And you just tap the end of the axle stub with a soft faced hammer (better keep the castle nut on, but loose).

Oh yeah, that brake cylinder...you need a special tool, or just a pair of needle nose pliars. You have to open the bleeder and twist it clockwise for it to go in. There is another way of doing it without opening the bleeder...anyone know?

I just usually took the cover off the master cylinder, took a flat head screw driver and pushed the pads back from the rotors and that will push the brake fluid up through the lines and out the master cylinder.

Instead of opening the bleeder can I just open the Master Cyl. up where ya dump the brake fluid in...(if I open the bleeder I assume I would have to bleed the system??) For some reason I cant picture in my minds eye the Master Cyl right now...

Wow you guys are fast.. As Im typin away you guys are one step ahead of my thought process... and already have the answers posted before I ask them... COOOOL How much to tell me the Power Ball Numbers for Sat... Thanks for the info and again any other tips would be great as I have not done subie brakes yet... Joe

Instead of opening the bleeder can I just open the Master Cyl. up where ya dump the brake fluid in...(if I open the bleeder I assume I would have to bleed the system??) For some reason I cant picture in my minds eye the Master Cyl right now...

When you pop the hood its to the very right next to the firewall.