Ultimate Subaru Message Board

justy balance shaft timing

Ready to put my justy motor back together sans manual. I "think" that when the crank is at #1 TDC, the dot on the balance shaft sprocket should point at the crank, but I want confirmation first obviously LOL.

Please dont make me get all confused trying to figure out the timing by thinking about how it cancels out the 2nd order vibrations. Or is it 1st order :rolleyes: gah

It is second order. Unbalanced 1st order multi-piston engines wouldn't be a very good idea. Like, why bother, when there are so many better ways to build one?

Whoops! Justys are 3-bangers, they do have a first order imbalance. I guess that is why they have the shaft, to get rid of it.

Sorry I can't help with the timing though.

flat-crank v8s (f1, lotus esprit v8, audi, ferrari) are 1st order imbalanced but 2nd order balanced, and can rev much higher and faster than a cross-crank v8 which is what most american engines are. A cross crank v8 is 1st order balanced but 2nd order imbalanced.

Anyways, still looking for help on this!

flat-crank v8s (f1, lotus esprit v8, audi, ferrari) are 1st order imbalanced but 2nd order balanced, and can rev much higher and faster than a cross-crank v8 which is what most american engines are. A cross crank v8 is 1st order balanced but 2nd order imbalanced.

Anyways, still looking for help on this!

Thanks for the pro-Justy *************** slap :headbang:

I'll look it up when I get home.

sorry for hijack but what is 1st/2nd order imbalance?

reason i ask is that i have a 94 justy that shakes at idle.(couple people told me that it's normal) it smooths out perfectly when gas is given.

was mainly curious about this inbalance thing?

Ready to put my justy motor back together sans manual. I "think" that when the crank is at #1 TDC, the dot on the balance shaft sprocket should point at the crank, but I want confirmation first obviously LOL.

Please dont make me get all confused trying to figure out the timing by thinking about how it cancels out the 2nd order vibrations. Or is it 1st order :rolleyes: gah

Pages out of the manual...

page1.jpg

page2.jpg

And yes, one day I'll learn how to use my scanner correctly without breaking the binding on the manual. Sorry for the delay, I hope this helps.