Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just a thought bout getting more travel...

I was thinking... is there anyway to remove the shock/cartridge from inside of the strut and still have the strut functional with that limit on travel? I'm just wondering cause since I put longer shocks on the back of my ea81, I get CRAZY amounts of travel, and havent had any axle problems yet, I want to build shock mounts seperate from the strut and open up my shock options. I figure it really wont put much of any strain on the axle driving on the street and with some limiting straps to keep from pulling the joints apart, I figure it wouldnt hurt anything too much since if a wheel is fully drooped odds are if you're hammering it its the axle thats compressed thats taking all the strain. and if I'm wrong I'm willing to go through a few axles to find out.

my other idea, I'm not quite sure how the stubs attach to the transmission, but if its anything like the back, would it be possible to make spacers betweeen the stubs and the transmission to allow better usage of longer control arms to get more travel?

Well - the shock inside the strut holds the whole assembly together, and without it, the thing will just fall apart. If you could find a longer strut cartridge tho you might be able to get more travel. Larger springs would help as well.

As for longer control arms, the EA82 setup is wider, so you could adapt that for a few more inches of travel. You would need to either modify the axles or use the EA82 hubs and brakes.

GD

there is a fair bit of travel left in the front suspension if you put in a longer strut cartridge. I think that the cartridge from a vw super beetle can be adapted and allows about 8 or 9" travel instead of about 6". Beyond that the suspension needs a redesign.