Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swaping turbo from 2.2t into 1.8t

Bussaca

Super Dave told me this might be the better place to put this

Ok.. i remember (like 1999) back in the day someone going over the steps to change out the turbo from an 2.2t into an RX..

Well i got back from the junkyard..and 2.2t turbo in hand with what i vaugely remembered.. so i removed my 1.8t Turbo..to find..they are pretty close..but no where near to fitting..

So at this point.. it looks like i'm going to need a 2.2t Down pipe and up-pipe..???

or

would it be easier to have a shop make new flanges and weld em to the old pipes?

Any info..much apreciated.

David Carter

I know the WRX downpipe works for sure.... and I dont see why the up pipe wouldn't.... hit up NASIOC

The uppipe won't work because we don't have a seperate uppipe on the old cars

What I did when I put the TD04 on my wagon..

Cut the uppipe flange from a WRX UP. cut the studs off the stock 'UP'. Weld the WRX flange flush to the stock flange.

I also used a WRX DP, but it isn't quite an exact fit. had to deal with the trans xmember a little.

82Picture_049.jpg

The uppipe won't work because we don't have a seperate uppipe on the old cars

What I did when I put the TD04 on my wagon..

Cut the uppipe flange from a WRX UP. cut the studs off the stock 'UP'. Weld the WRX flange flush to the stock flange.

I also used a WRX DP, but it isn't quite an exact fit. had to deal with the trans xmember a little.

82Picture_049.jpg

yeah I ran into the slight downpipe rubbage on the crossmember but that was with the stock WRX downpipe. Since i got my Megan Racing downpipe which has no cats in it, there's less of a clearance issue in my RX.

Subaru_Styles would know since he used a VF11 on his RX wagon if I'm not mistaken. As for me putting the TD04 onto my RX, I just simply unthreaded the back stud and welded it about a 1/2" further back so it would bolt on instead of welding a stock WRX flange onto the uppipe like Caleb did.