Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4.11 into Dr trany thread

tailgatewagon

i remember something to the tune of next to impossible, something about the AWD ring and pinions are deeper than the D/R ring and pinion. there is a thread or two about it, however, some guy in australia put 4.11 gears into a D/R tranny. but if you were going to go through all that hassle, i would just get the 4.44 gears for better crawl, and you could run big tires without having to worry so much about loss of gearing. but thats just what i would do. i would love to have this in my car, maybe mudrat79 will enlighten us since he's torn all kinds of suby trannys apart, and knows what will and wont work.

~Josh~

I've been thinking about this too, and if the 4.44 gears can be found for not too much money, then they would be good to go with for a better crawl ratio.

My "ideal" transmission would be...

RX center diff, as the EJ makes quick starts with 2wd more of a burn out process. AWD/4WD

4.44 or 4.11 gears

Front LSD

2WD first gear, if it fits, as its 3.656 instead of 3.545

NA D/R 1.59 Low range

I think with the RX center diff, it would be possible to mate the 4.11 or the 4.44 JDM gears into the D/R transmission

The AWD Diff lock RX tranny has a longer pinion shaft, so the 4.11 gears, which are also AWD would probably need the RX pinion and rear "t-case" and not be able to use the part time unit.

The legacy gearbox has a centre diff with a long pinion shaft.

The fulltime EA box has a long pinion shaft with the same layout.

The parttime 2wd/4wd ea box has the pinion as an integral part of the secondary shaft.

If you want a EA d/r box with 4.11 or 4.44 gears you will have to use the fulltime 4wd EA box with the legacy final drive, its the only way of getting a pinion to fit witohut major mods.... i think. The crownwheel should be pretty straightforward, they look the same.

The legacy gearbox has a centre diff with a long pinion shaft.

The fulltime EA box has a long pinion shaft with the same layout.

The parttime 2wd/4wd ea box has the pinion as an integral part of the secondary shaft.

If you want a EA d/r box with 4.11 or 4.44 gears you will have to use the fulltime 4wd EA box with the legacy final drive, its the only way of getting a pinion to fit witohut major mods.... i think. The crownwheel should be pretty straightforward, they look the same.

I am not the quickest of cats when it comes to gearboxes. Would this configuration retain the "lockable" centre of a Full Time box?

so that guy still has the d/r but he's lost the center diff lock... hmmm...

this is just a backwards thought (i tend to do that) but everybody is trying to get 4.11 and 4.44 gears into the d/r trannies...

what about sticking a d/r with a locked center diff into an ej? stick the butt end of a d/r onto an ej??? just a thought... any thoughts?

13 5/8'' = 346.0750 mm.......34.60750cm.......3.460750 dm......lol gots to love the metric system. but seriously, we need to figure this thing out, if you've heard anything or talked with anyone about this, please speak up, i want 4.44 gears with my D/R tranny, i want to run 27'' tires with the same gearing....hook a brotha up!!!!

~Josh~

I have an RX tranny sitting in my parents garage in San Diego, and in order to make this work, i would need either a legacy tranny, the 4.44 ring and pinion, and a NA 5mt D/R for the "real" low range. and while i was in there, i think that a 1.5 way LSD would be a nice addition.

So, if anyone has any of the above listed, in or around Seattle, let me know, i'll kick out the first prototype and if it works i'll start building them.

I have an RX tranny sitting in my parents garage in San Diego, and in order to make this work, i would need either a legacy tranny, the 4.44 ring and pinion, and a NA 5mt D/R for the "real" low range. and while i was in there, i think that a 1.5 way LSD would be a nice addition.

So, if anyone has any of the above listed, in or around Seattle, let me know, i'll kick out the first prototype and if it works i'll start building them.

I got a Legacy tranny and an Impreza tranny but so far away:rolleyes: