Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need advice on replacing my rear shocks on EA81.

I need to get some new shocks for the rear of my EA81 wagon. I was thinking some replacement ones would be good, but I have an idea. If I took the rear shock extensions from the 3in BYB lift off the rear shocks, couldn't I just get three inch bigger shocks then put them in the stock shock holes instead of using the extension?

Which is better:

Monroe:http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=MON&mfrpartnumber=5914&parttype=50&ptset=A

KYB:http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=KYB&mfrpartnumber=343056&parttype=50&ptset=A

The website says these KYBs will fit, but will they?

Thanks

I like KYB a lot. GR2s are generally slightly stiffer than new stock struts/shocks. I don't know much about Monroe, but I believe those are more OEM-grade. I have GR2s on my BD Legacy and love them, it's also dropped about an inch with stiffer progressive springs though. Dunno about a lifted application.

-Aaron

Right, but they're not GR2s, are they? KYB, among others, does supply Subaru with the stock struts, but they're often not the quality of aftermarket.

Bilsteins carry a one million mile warranty, for example. But then they cost a bit more than OE replacements, heh.

yes ,yes you can get bigger ones.

I need to get some new shocks for the rear of my EA81 wagon. I was thinking some replacement ones would be good, but I have an idea. If I took the rear shock extensions from the 3in BYB lift off the rear shocks, couldn't I just get three inch bigger shocks then put them in the stock shock holes instead of using the extension?

Which is better:

Monroe:http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=MON&mfrpartnumber=5914&parttype=50&ptset=A

KYB:http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=KYB&mfrpartnumber=343056&parttype=50&ptset=A

The website says these KYBs will fit, but will they?

Thanks

like you were thinking, take out the byb bracket and use ea 82 rear adjustable coil overs, or at least try this, it might be too stiff for your application, if so then switch out the coils for 2wd coils, they work well in the back of a friends brat(with about 200lbs of tools), if I remember right you need to put a spacer between the fender and the strut top, or maybe it was an altogether new top mount on the ea82's but then you can upgrage to the gr2's and if you have a huge load application you can put the accord springs in, I bielieve you might want to put in the ea82 doj's when you do this, you will be increasing up travel quite a bit... for the supercheep option just tighten your rear torsion tube up.

Sorry about the little hijack there.

If you order the KYB's or any other shock from a parts house you are going to get a stock length shock and will still have the same setup you have now.

Yes, you can get a longer one and git rid of the extension that came with your lift. But you would probably have to talk to someone at KYB and tell them how long and what kind of mounts you need and have them give you the correct part #.

That is what I had to do to get other than stock replacement Procomp shocks for my 4 Runner when I first lifted it.

A little more on the hijack.......................KYB OE shocks and struts are made to the (Subaru in this case) manufactueres specs. I know at least with Subaru struts on New gen. models some are just hydrolic and some are gas. Were as with the KYB aftermarket replacments you have, 1) GR2's which are all low pressure gas shocks and struts, 2) Gas-A-Just which are all high pressure, 3) AGX which are adjustable.

So depending on what a car hadon it from the factory, gas or hydo, you may or may not be getting the same quality ride as OE shocks or struts, but because KYB is the OEM I think you are getting the same quality part.

Unless you are going to be using your EA81 for a heavy hauler, I would recommend the GR2 low pressure shock. The high pressure Gas-A-Just shocks make full size rigs ride rough.

If you go the way of putting EA82 rear coil overs in you would probably want to do away with you torsion bar. Adding the spring rate of the coils to the spring rate of a torsion bar is going to make for one stiff, rough ride.

• 2 weeks later...
yes ,yes you can get bigger ones.

Awesome. That will help with more up and down travel. So what size am I gonna shoot for and what brand? Do shocks come in mm or inches? Any suggestions from the suby offroad gurus?

Awesome. That will help with more up and down travel. So what size am I gonna shoot for and what brand? Do shocks come in mm or inches? Any suggestions from the suby offroad gurus?

ok do this(you will need a measuring tape):

measure the distance from the top shock mount to the bottom shock mount with the car sitting on the ground.

jack the car up so the wheel is up off the ground and the suspension is maxed out, measure from the top of the shock mount to the bottom. this is how much extension you will need out of the shock

go here:

http://www.gorancho.com/products/appguides/2005/2005_productshock_spec.pdf

or go here:

http://www.monroe.com/pdf/ShockAbsorberMountingStyleSheet.pdf

those are all I could look up online right now, I know kyb has one but I couldnt find it.

also most parts stores have many books about all the differant types of shocks they carry and specifications. You can pretty much get exactly what you want. Just go in and say you'd like to find a shock with so and so dimensions and extentions, and has eye mounts on both ends. you will be MUCH happier if you go with rancho/procomp(but they WILL be stiffer than hell). I have some procromp es3000s and they are pretty sweet, I also have like more than a foot of downtravel, and about 2-3" of compression(the shock I got was slightly too long, use a measuring tape :lol: ) but it will be wicked sweet when I go higher.

any more questions just let me know..... it'd be nice if a moderator would sticky some shock spec charts on the offroad forum.