Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 DL >>> GL dash swap?

OK. So my DL brat has the weenie dash with no tach and no clock.

Brian/monstaru has a good GL dash with the above accoutrements. Plus intermittent wipers.

Let's pretend I get ambitious and decide to upgrade. How much of a headache am I looking at?

A search for Dash Swap revealed only EA82 and analog related stuff.

I assume I'd have to add a tachometer sending unit doodad to my car.. anyone have insight or advice?

The tacho gets its signal from the ignition coil. so u will need to run a wire from it, not sure if its the pos or neg side though.

Ive swapped the dash in my l series. not one of the easiest jobs, but not impossiabe.

Unsure of a MY brat setup

Gannon.

I don't remember, but I think it's a plug-in; just swap it in and all the wiring is there. Terrific job though; Turbone helped me with a GL to GL dash replacement on my '84 Brat a while ago. It took us all of 10 hours. It just requires patience and time.

that's good to know, thanks guys.

I have a heater core / hot water valve replacement in store for my Brat, so I may as well see about doing the whole shebang at once...

That's a good time to do that also; I have a pulled heater box, complete, if you're looking for one. I won't tell you how long it took me to get it out. Make me an offer I can't refuse.

i have to do this, too. i was thinking of swapping the harness, so i'll be interested in what you run across. any time frame?

also i've taken a couple dashes out and it's a pretty big pain in the rump roast, like ed says, it just takes lots o patience. i've never installed one, i would think it's harder. if your windshield needs replacing, do your dash swap with the windshield out. it will be much easier to get in place and you'll have way better angles to work with up top.

i have to do this, too. i was thinking of swapping the harness, so i'll be interested in what you run across. any time frame?

also i've taken a couple dashes out and it's a pretty big pain in the rump roast, like ed says, it just takes lots o patience. i've never installed one, i would think it's harder. if your windshield needs replacing, do your dash swap with the windshield out. it will be much easier to get in place and you'll have way better angles to work with up top.

Yea, I forgot to mention the bit about the windshield. If it has to stay in, a good right angle screw driver is a must.