Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Want to start working on my own car. Where to start?

hello, first post here. anyways, i just picked up an '88 GL with 56k miles on it, yes 56k. anyways, i had to replace the boot on the car immediatly and spent like $150 at the mechanic which wasn't real pleasing since i knew the part was only $20. anyways, i want to start working on my own car because these cars seem relatively easy to work on and i am a pretty handy guy. so, my question to you is: what are some basic tools you would start off with and where would you suggest starting as far as getting to know the car?

also, when my boot was replaced the mechanic said there should be a shield between the boot and the converter because it gets so hot down there. this makes sense, but it doesn't look like it is missing anything and i have read other threads addressing these heat issues, so im not sure if i am missing something or if it is just a design error on subarus part.

Start with something easy like changing the oil. Then maybe move on to putting in new plugs and wires. Before you get into any "real" projects I would suggest geting some repair mannuals. Recently someone made an entire mannual called "How to keep your subaru alive for the compleat (sic) idiot" available to download for free. Do a search of the forum and download it. It is excedllent reading. I think that getting a Chilton's mannual and preferably the factory service mannual (FSM) would be of great benefit too. But the htkysa book is a good place to start.

You are correct, they are easy to work on, but it can still get frustrating.

Good luck. Welcome to the USM community.

-Jack

yeah just start fixing things that need to be fixed on your car! That's what I did, with 9 cars, I'm always doing something, and learning new things! Have fun, and be patient. It'll come to you and you'll learn a lot.

the most IMPORTANT thing you will ever need working on your car:

PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot stress that MORE, also

better to take your time and make sure its done right, instead of do a hackjob and suffer the later consequences

and above all,

cool head and at least a 6 pack or more for most repairs...

as far as tools, it helps to have a complete set of metric wrenches(8mm to at least 21mm), screwdrivers, prybar/wrecking bar, set of metric sockets, SAE tools are good to have but not essential. gear wrenches are the most time saving tool ever. the most common bolt/nut sizes are 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21. so far I havent ecountered any bolt that came OE on the car that was 9, 15, or 16, have found an 11 and 13. most axle nuts are 36mm, although with some reman'd units they will come with 30mm and 32mm. vice grips are handy, so are flare wrenches for brake line related type stuff. replacing axles after you do it a couple times will only take about 20 minutes. 4-5lb sledge is usually a good idea, along with a ball peen. peice of pipe to get that extra leverage you need sometimes(becareful not to break sockets/bolts). my experiance with tools, almost every tool that I have bought that was made outside the USA has broken, while most that were made in the usa are still intact(trust me, its worth paying 3 times more for tools if you use them more than once...)... I know there is more but my mind is runnin on empty. hope this helps.

oh yeah, loud noises at 3am piss the neighbors off!

well, for my first project i need to replace those pesky timing belts that are starting to sing to me. by looking at the manual i picked up, it seems relatively easy. am i correct in this assumption?

also, my other idea was (because it is nearing 60k miles) to have it professionally tuned up and then go from there as far as my own repairs go just so they can make sure everything is up to par before i start monkeyin around with stuff i dont really understand.

well, for my first project i need to replace those pesky timing belts that are starting to sing to me. by looking at the manual i picked up, it seems relatively easy. am i correct in this assumption?

also, my other idea was (because it is nearing 60k miles) to have it professionally tuned up and then go from there as far as my own repairs go just so they can make sure everything is up to par before i start monkeyin around with stuff i dont really understand.

a "tune up" is a far simpler job than Tbelt replacement in my opinion. not that Tbelts are that hadr to do. are you shure its the timing belts "singing" and not the drive belts?

just a warning. 13 years ago I started taking auto classes because I wanted to learn how to fix my own cars better. Now I am a journeyman mechanic. I just wanted a hobby not a life long job.(mechanics never leave work):banghead:

oh yeah changing c/v boots sucks. Its a messy job to say the least. Thats why many of us just swap out axles.

start reading. if you're starting out like i did with no mechanical knowledge, friends or family that do anything like this then your best bet is to hit these boards and the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your vehicle.

make a list of things you want to do and get familiar with the *search* function, i've learned alot from that thing. lots of awesome subaru specific or model specific information, tricks and tips here that go well beyond what even a mechanic or FSM could tell you.

good luck and have fun.

The best book for beginners (IMO) is "Reader's Digest Complete Care Care Manual". It has been out of print for 20+ years, but it covers cars of this era better than any other book. An excellent combination of theory and practical information. Well worth the effort to track down a copy. This along with the Haynes manual, should be enough to get you started.

As far as tools, if you are starting fresh, I would buy a quality basic metric automotive set, and add to it as needed. Don't be discouraged if you spend a lot on tools early on - they will pay for themselves very quickley.

Listen and be open-minded when seeking advice. But always educate yourself enough to make your own decisions.

good luck, John

First off - Welcome to the madness! (it is addictive - you have been warned)

If you are, as you put it, "a handy guy" you dont need a "pro" to take your hard earned dollars to do a tune up. Tune ups are about the easiest thing you can do on these cars.

New NGK sparkplugs, new distributor cap and rotor, and probably new plug wires are all you need for that. other items to think about would be fuel and air filters. basic oil changes are always pretty easy as well, as long as you have somplace to dispose of the used oil.

basic tools should include a set of metric wrenches in sizes 10mm to 21-22 mm - you should also get a decent socket set in the same size ranges

you will need a 36mm for axle nuts (if your car is front wheel drive only, the rear "axle" nuts are smaller) wheel lug nuts should be 19mm, altho some replacement nuts are larger

*A good set of pin punches is a very good idea (for axle removal)

*a 2-5 lb mini sledge is always handy

*a good breaker bar for breaking loose those axle nuts, and other stubborn items

*a good torque wrench that has a wide range of settings (ours will go from 10ftlbs to 150 ftlbs) axle nuts need 145 ft lbs of torque

other misc items that are nice to have on hand - flare wrenches (metric of course), vice grips (couple of styles), needle nose pliers, regular pliers, wire cutters, wire strippers, basic screwdriver set, some sort of electrical tester (digital multimeters are great), an adjustable wrench can be useful too, an oil filter wrench in the appropiate size (not a necessity if the filter isnt screwed on overly tight)

Highly recommend a can or two if PB Blaster penetrating oil - much better than WD40 for breaking loose old fasteners of all types

Some sort of manual is always nice, but Chiltons and Haynes miss a lot of stuff, or are not very clear (timing belt replacement is one of those items)

The "How to Keep Your Subaru Alive" book is available for download on this site.

And of course the USMB!! If you cant find the answer anywhere else, you can find it here - or it doesnt exist!! :lol: If I hadnt found this place when I got my Suby over 4 yrs ago, I doubt I would still be driving it - the guys and gals here are awesome! (and yes, I am female, and I enjoy wrenching on my Subaru!;) it is very satisfying to keep my own vehicle running when most would have given up on it - 227,500 miles and counting)

Enjoy your Subaru, learn about your Subaru, Keep your Subaru alive!!

a "tune up" is a far simpler job than Tbelt replacement in my opinion. not that Tbelts are that hadr to do. are you shure its the timing belts "singing" and not the drive belts?

just a warning. 13 years ago I started taking auto classes because I wanted to learn how to fix my own cars better. Now I am a journeyman mechanic. I just wanted a hobby not a life long job.(mechanics never leave work):banghead:

oh yeah changing c/v boots sucks. Its a messy job to say the least. Thats why many of us just swap out axles.

Yep couldn't agree more. Started out working on soobies 8 yrs ago. Only just done second TBelt. Get used to easy things - find TDC and take dizzy in and out, reset timing. Take out radiator and flush cooling system. Do your brakes. etc. Then start on some suspension and other stuff (you need time to assemble all the tools and parts needed). I'm still not quick or particulary handy, but will attempt just about anything now. Tools needed are 36mm socket (for wheels), The USMB forums, a manual, basic ahnd tools 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 mm sockets. Others might be pickle fork, timing light, multimeter, tachometer, spring compressors, etc. Good Luck - subys are easy take your time, do your research and all should be good for many years of motoring. :burnout:

Do a quick search here on the USMB for the HTKYSA book. That alone will give you a wealth of knowledge. A basic set of metric tools, like wrenches and a wratchet with a set of sockets, will go a long way with these cars. Only special tools you may need would be the 36mm socket for CV joints, and theres a funky socket you need for brake jobs. If your not affraid of bloody knuckles, and a couple nights of swearing and getting filthy, then you should survive :)

-Brian

Here are some odds and ends/tools I have found handy over time:

A large breaker bar with a non-ratcheting 1/2" drive end. Sears, etc good source.

A 1/2" to 3/8" adapter so you can use your 3/8 drive sockets with the bar.

The bar comes in handy for stubborn crap like suspension bolts, etc, and just as a pry lever sometimes.

An offset small philips screwdriver. Great for getting in tight spots like TPS screws, etc. You don't need this until you are wanting to work on something that has a hard to access screw, and you have no other easy solution. A godsend when you need it.

A small magnetic pick up so you can retrieve little things you drop.

Some cat litter in case you spill something.

Rags

Good jackstands or ramps. Sounds stupid but don't work under the car using a jack only.

Some small amounts of blue locktite, thread anti-seize, dielectric grease on hand so you don't have to make a special trip when you need it, and you don't skip it because you don't have it on hand when you should use it.

Penetrating oil to pre-treat rough fasteners prior to working on them.

Quick access to the minds on this forum.