Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my gf has had this vehicle for about a year its a 98 forester w/ a 2.5l SOHC, apparently her cam bearing seezed up and the timing belt blew... im trying to figure out why this happened..... lack of oil... no oil.... or something floating around in the engine... she is now looking for a rebuild.. has this happened to anyone on yet ??? the shop is saying at least $2500 for the work....

thanks

-dave

What the shop is saying is probably the most optimistic view. This is an interference head design, so odds are if any of the valves were open when the cam seized, they (and maybe the pistons in the affected cylinders) are toast. Doesn't really matter what caused it -- what matters is you can probably pick up a used engine for about the cost of the repairs, if the worst has come to pass.... Have they pulled the heads yet to see how bad the damage is?

If I remember correctly, seized cams from oil starvation were/are a known issue with the 2.5L DOHC engine. Apparently the some of the oil passages are very narrow in this engine. I'm not saying it happens a lot, just more often then you might expect.

all i'm gonna say is, penzoil is he worst oil for a 2.5 engine.. non detergent mean anything?

All modern, detergent oils, SH and up are decent these days irrelevant of the brand. Last time I checked, oil marketed as penzoil was made by shell.

I would suspect long oil change intervals or SA, non-detergent oil, still available at drugstores nationwide.

All modern, detergent oils, SH and up are decent these days irrelevant of the brand. Last time I checked, oil marketed as penzoil was made by shell.

I would suspect long oil change intervals or SA, non-detergent oil, still available at drugstores nationwide.

The last time I "bashed" Penzoil, I got scolded and was told to get into the 21st century, but I have to totally agree with Meeky Moose on not using Penzoil in a Subaru because of possible clogging of oil passages. I don't know if Shell makes Penzoil or have improved it in any way, but I remember being able to tell a Penzoil engine just by taking off the oil filler cap, rebuilds generally exposed a rather "caked" on black crud all over the inside of the motor. I still to this day do not use Penzoil for "anything" because of my past experience rebuilding engines.

Don't mean to offend anybody, but this is just my opinion.

Mike

The last time I "bashed" Penzoil, I got scolded and was told to get into the 21st century, but I have to totally agree with Meeky Moose on not using Penzoil in a Subaru because of possible clogging of oil passages. I don't know if Shell makes Penzoil or have improved it in any way, but I remember being able to tell a Penzoil engine just by taking off the oil filler cap, rebuilds generally exposed a rather "caked" on black crud all over the inside of the motor. I still to this day do not use Penzoil for "anything" because of my past experience rebuilding engines.

Don't mean to offend anybody, but this is just my opinion.

Mike

The guys in the machine shop by me have the same opinion of Penzoil, and after seeing the small block Chevy engine that they tore down caked with black crud I don't recommend it either. They asked the owner of the engine what oil he used and it was Penzoil. We rarely sell any Penzoil. Mostly Valvoline, Mobil1 and now that we carry it, Royal Purple. I noticed my Subaru dealer uses Castrol, wonder if that's corporate or up to invividual dealerships.....

I willing to bet individual dealerships get to choose the oil brand. The 2 dealerships near me use different brands (one uses Pennzoil, the other uses Castrol). Also, your girlfirend may want to check out CCR for a rebuilt engine. I bet by the time everything is fixed, you'll come real close to spending what it takes to get a rebuilt engine. At least the rebuilt engine will have a warranty.

my gf has had this vehicle for about a year its a 98 forester w/ a 2.5l SOHC, apparently her cam bearing seezed up and the timing belt blew... im trying to figure out why this happened..... lack of oil... no oil.... or something floating around in the engine... she is now looking for a rebuild.. has this happened to anyone on yet ??? the shop is saying at least $2500 for the work....

thanks

-dave

I would suggest looking into a rebuilt engine for about 3000-3500 installed.

If i was you, i would go this route. You dont give the mileage on the engine, but for 500-1000 more thats nmy suggestion. Contact CCR for info :)

nipper

I'd put an engine like this in. See ebay item # 8046608500. This is a DOHC, but just an example of what you can find.

Or find a used 2.2. Nothing against CCR, I think they are great, but it is a 98.

Just my two cents.