Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Justy having a few problems

So my justy has been acting weird since I've gone through two timing belts in two months (LONG STORY DON"T ASK LESS YA REALLY WANNA KNOW).

1st off when I start the vehicle it sometimes takes a few times cuz somewhere between the starter and flywheel something is grinding. I put the starter in myself, a rebuilt from shucks about 3.5 months ago when the timing belt broke the first time. The issue is the flywheel was replaced last June '05 along with clutch, etc. So any ideas why it is grinding? Classic crappy stuff from shucks?

ND: My left headlight only after a long trip, 5 hours from Pullman to Seattle, and it was dim. I replaced the bulb and it remained dim. Short or anything specific someone can tell me to check?

3rd: Check engine light is flashing, how do I read/diagnose what it is telling me?

4th: Anyone know how to do the timing for this vehicle? I have the Chilton's but it is not very specific on what to hook my timing light up to or plug off, etc. I know about the green connectors under the dash has to be unplugged but thats about it. Is there more or is that it?

I am quite the noob to subies just thought I might get some help from you guys whom know alot more then me. I bought this from an ex member of this board who owned a wagon he totaled, hatch he lifted and sold, and the justy i presently own. Well any help would be quite apreciated.

ND: My left headlight only after a long trip, 5 hours from Pullman to Seattle, and it was dim. I replaced the bulb and it remained dim. Short or anything specific someone can tell me to check?

Check the headlight relay. I know this sounds wierd, but on my '91 loyale when the relay goes out (or I disconnect it altogether) there is still a small amount of voltage going to my headlight.

As a side note, the relays are located under the dash above the fuse box.

I hope that helps!