6 Lug Conversion

Rear 3.9 LSD

Tube Doors

Weber Carb

Rear Disc Brakes

3500lb winch

KC Lights

and HOPEFULLY - D/R 5 speed Tranny with Phantom Grip + bumpers and Rollbars

My question now is, WHAT MORE CAN I DO TO IMPORVE OFFROAD CAPABILITY? ea82 Coilovers help any? welded rear instead? What else? Opinions are welcome!

Ooooooh, good one. I'd really like to see that.

dont worry, i got some designs in the works, just need to get about 300$ for the axles :burnout::burnout::burnout:

well, before I say anything, how much money you got to work with? theres ALWAYS more you can do.

Onboard air so you can air down on the trail and air up for the ride home.

Wheel it hard till you break it. Then you'll know what needs to be modified. Experiance is the best teacher.

Quit spending your money and ENJOY IT!:D

Onboard air so you can air down on the trail and air up for the ride home.

Wheel it hard till you break it. Then you'll know what needs to be modified. Experiance is the best teacher.

Quit spending your money and ENJOY IT!:D

Dido! :)

So I'm sure a lot of people know about my Brat but here are the specs anyway:

4/3" Byb Lift Kit

28" Swampers

6 Lug Conversion

Rear 3.9 LSD

Tube Doors

Weber Carb

Rear Disc Brakes

3500lb winch

KC Lights

and HOPEFULLY - D/R 5 speed Tranny with Phantom Grip + bumpers and Rollbars

My question now is, WHAT MORE CAN I DO TO IMPORVE OFFROAD CAPABILITY? ea82 Coilovers help any? welded rear instead? What else? Opinions are welcome!

I've got a Superwinch 4500 and it wasn't enough to pull me up a fairly steep hill (angle was severe enough I couldn't get it started again)

and my starter locked up. not enough area to turn around, and a tree stuck behind my RF wheel!

If you don't already have one, get(make) a good skid plate that covers your Y pipe as well. save my engine more than once last year...

I love my welded rear, but I also use sometimes as a daily, so I'm torn on that issue....

Get another E-brake lever and hook it up to one of the cables, one lever for each wheel, free turning brake!

Weld the rear for a Lincoln Locker then...

Do the Dual Ebrake thing and you'll have a limited slip up front.

You'll never spin a tire again!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6002&cat=500&ppuser=584

Good Luck!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

I think that the ea82 coilovers make the rear way too stiff. I found the ea81 Soobs to be most capable with the rear torsion bar dialed down to the bottom, as soft as possible. Makes for free (er) travel, meaning the tires are on the ground more. That would mean better traction, improving off road capability.

Definitely get a welded diff. I swore they'd be no different/better while I drove around in my lsd'd rig. ALL the difference!!! You too will say that.

You just have to learn to be softer on the pedal to preserve axles.

What else?

I've been thinking about replacing the radiators in the ea81s with one not so tall. It's gotta be out there, a radiator that will cool as well as the stock one, but not be as huge. If you could lift the radiator, you can improve approach angle, again, improving offroad capability.

Thanks thats a good idea. I was also thinking of getting a custom oil pan made, smaller maybe. That'd help A LOT! I'm sure. I don't wanna go to T-case, subframe etc right now, thats TOO much work for me. I may have an idea for my next rig though involving all that stuff though. Later. Thanks for the replies.

I think that the ea82 coilovers make the rear way too stiff. I found the ea81 Soobs to be most capable with the rear torsion bar dialed down to the bottom, as soft as possible. Makes for free (er) travel, meaning the tires are on the ground more. That would mean better traction, improving off road capability.

Definitely get a welded diff. I swore they'd be no different/better while I drove around in my lsd'd rig. ALL the difference!!! You too will say that.

You just have to learn to be softer on the pedal to preserve axles.

What else?

I've been thinking about replacing the radiators in the ea81s with one not so tall. It's gotta be out there, a radiator that will cool as well as the stock one, but not be as huge. If you could lift the radiator, you can improve approach angle, again, improving offroad capability.

I'm not to sure on the welded diff idea. Only if you wanna trailer your brat from trail to trail. If not, your gonna have to remove the rear axel every time you drive on the tarmac. Then when the weld breakes you gotta re weld it.. sounds like a huge pain in the a@@ in my opinion.

If you wanna rock crawl I suggest a different vehicle.

I'm not to sure on the welded diff idea. Only if you wanna trailer your brat from trail to trail. If not, your gonna have to remove the rear axel every time you drive on the tarmac. Then when the weld breakes you gotta re weld it.. sounds like a huge pain in the a@@ in my opinion.

Subieman, have you ever had or built an off roader? Are you speaking from experience or from what you've read?

I can change out/in a rear axle in a lifted ea81 in about 6 minutes or less, including pulling out the hammer and putting it away.

WHAT MORE CAN I DO TO IMPORVE OFFROAD CAPABILITY?

He asked. What do you suggest?

I beg to differ. if you weld it right, and wheel it better, you won't break the welds. swappin out a rear axle isn't that hard if you really are pushing your subaru to the limit on a regular basis.

but, if you daily drive it, and wheel it for a few minutes, and drive it home. or, like me, daily drive it in a city that get's alot of snow, an LSD is more for you.

beyond that, a snorkel, if you find yourself in the water often.

big recommendation for the dual ebrake from me!!! it would go real well with your phantom grip. it's not good for everything, but if you get in a real tight situation, it can be that little help you need to pull yourself over something.

It all really depends on what you're doing. The best thing you can do is go wheel it, take it where you want to go, and if it falls short in something, try to find a way to make it better.

I beg to differ. if you weld it right, and wheel it better, you won't break the welds. swappin out a rear axle isn't that hard if you really are pushing your subaru to the limit on a regular basis.

Zap high five's Nubchux. :clap::headbang:

If you put a tailgate back on:

I got a rear tire carrier off a old Ram Charger, and it will fit perfect, attaching to rear steel bumper, and the body right above tail light. swings out so you can lower the tailgate. the swing lock attaches to the tailgate....

• 1 month later...
Get another E-brake lever and hook it up to one of the cables, one lever for each wheel, free turning brake!

I've been thinking of doing this on my Forester for the rear e-brake. I tried searching with no luck, so does anyone have any install tips or links?