Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Subee Legacy Transmission Problem

Hi,

I have a 2000 Subaru Legacy 4dr Sedan w/Auto Trans. When I shift to D, car would just not move. It is as if the gear never locks. It takes a few secs to couple of minutes before the gear kicks in. I talked to a couple of repair folks and they said that the flush of the trans could solve the problem. Once the car moves, I don't have problem shifting to lower gears. Of late the time for the "kick in" has increased. My Subee has about 93K miles. Everything else works perfect! Any suggestions, comments on what the best solution could be?

Should I first try the trans flush before I think about replacing the trans?

Please help!

thanks,

Andy

There's loads of tranny related postings here already -- just search and you shall find what most people recommend. As for me, check the fluid level first, and look for obvious leaks second. Then commence with other troubleshooting. Most of the time slip into first gear is a sign of not enough fluid in the tranny. And if that isn't the problem, definitely try a flush fix before anything else -- if it works, it's a cheap repair as compared with almost anything else.

Check fluid level.

Check the transmission filter and make sure it's not dented or smashed, i think around 1998 some (if not all) subaru transmissions went to an external screw on filter (like an engine oil filter).

Check the transmission pan and make sure it's not dented.

Make sure the transmission is actually going into the gear the shifter says it's in. Sounds like the shifter could be mal-adjusted? Try jiggling it back and forth alot when it won't go and see if that helps.

Does the POWER light blink when you first start the car?

Thank you for the suggestions. I have scheduled a check/repair tomorrow. I will ask the mechnaic to follow the steps suggested rather than jumping straight into the Flush! :banana:

Andy

Do all that stuff, but flush it anyway, and from here on out (assuming you've been negligent in the past) do REGULAR tranny service, it's the weakest link (and an expensive link at that ) in your car.

Our 2000 Leg has 175,000 miles and no AT issues at all, but we are religious about tranny service, and then ONLY at the Subaru dealer, on of the few things we let them touch.