Ultimate Subaru Message Board

free 82 GL come and get it!

Last week this guy who lives around the corner from me was asking me about my Ru and said he had a sedan that I could have (too many cars.) I don't have room or time for another so if anyone wants it, it's theirs! 1982 GL, front wheel drive, automatic, manual locks/windows, EA81. He says it runs but it will need radiator hoses and a battery, and the ignition switch is missing but can be started with a screwdriver. I looked at it today and it's pretty decent (for the price) Interior is 99% there and is filthy. Last registered in 1999. Engine, carb, distributor look usable, can't remember miles but less than 180K. A few minor problems. It's right around the corner so I can check specifics/take pics if anyone's interested. I'll get the VIN later as well.

82GL4.jpg

82GL3.jpg

82GL2.jpg

82GL1.jpg

From what I hear about 3ATs, I'd be scared to take one on the freeway;) If I have the time after work on Monday I'll see about getting a battery and hoses in it, see how it drives. From the looks of it, a weekend of elbow grease should net someone a dang nice car, sure wish I had room

Don't fret the 3AT too much - I took a 78 wagon with an EA71 and the 3AT up to about 85 mph on the freeway. Poor thing wouldn't get out of it's own way with a running start from a stoplight. Sure could move down hill on the freeway tho. Scary - very scary in such a small car. Almost needed the jaws of life to get back out of that car.

2WD Auto - bieng an '83 that should have a hydrualic lifter EA81 - definately worth the asking price if that's the case. Otherwise let it rot.

GD

I have just come up with a fantastic idea! I think that, in an effort to bring our subaru community even closer, you and some of your other northwest buddies should all pile into the 82 GL and drive it here to Norfolk so that you can give it to me at no additional charge! Along the way you will have time to bond and tell jokes while taking in the scenic wonder and beauty that this great nation has to offer. Upon arrival in Norfolk you will no doubt encounter many multicultural experiences (gunshots heard in the distance, people trying to sell you stolen electronics for dope money, the unmistakable smell of the Elizabeth river at low tide, great fried seafood, southern accents, rusty subarus, and um, I dunno, the Atlantic Ocean isn't too far away). I will gladly take you out and buy each of you 1 beer. Then you can make travel arrangements to get up to the northeast to see the other clump of subaru guys! Doesn't that sound great? Let me know what dates are good for you.

:clap:

you left out the part about picking up the free suub!!

I have just come up with a fantastic idea! I think that, in an effort to bring our subaru community even closer, you and some of your other northwest buddies should all pile into the 82 GL and drive it here to Norfolk so that you can give it to me at no additional charge! Along the way you will have time to bond and tell jokes while taking in the scenic wonder and beauty that this great nation has to offer. Upon arrival in Norfolk you will no doubt encounter many multicultural experiences (gunshots heard in the distance, people trying to sell you stolen electronics for dope money, the unmistakable smell of the Elizabeth river at low tide, great fried seafood, southern accents, rusty subarus, and um, I dunno, the Atlantic Ocean isn't too far away). I will gladly take you out and buy each of you 1 beer. Then you can make travel arrangements to get up to the northeast to see the other clump of subaru guys! Doesn't that sound great? Let me know what dates are good for you.

:clap:

Jack, if I had a few hundred lying around I'd be all for a USMB cross country roadtrip, cause roadtrips rock hardcore. But I don't. One very important thing I forgot: the engine *probably* needs 1 or both headgaskets

Owner says it uses coolant right? Most likely the intake manifold gaskets. Easy to do a compression test and see for sure. Like I said - hydro lifter engine so grab it.

Just yank the motor in the night and leave that useless body in the yard where it's sitting.

You need an alternator too.

GD

you could make your own:brow: get some turbo decals, turbo mirrors, and gold emblems, and a complete ea81t and drop it into this here sedan, then link that up to a 5 speed manual with 15 inch pugs holding it on the ground, that would be super sweet.

you could make your own:brow: get some turbo decals, turbo mirrors, and gold emblems, and a complete ea81t and drop it into this here sedan, then link that up to a 5 speed manual with 15 inch pugs holding it on the ground, that would be super sweet.

That's kind of what I had in mind. There is one around here that already has the 5 speed. The think is, I heard that dropping in the ea81t isn't as easy as it sounds. Also, how easy is it to find an ea81t that isn't shredded? WOuld I have to get it from CCR? Do they even have them?

The car here has been sitting outside a junkyard for over a year with no passenger front window so who knows how much watter is under the carpet rusting out the floorboard? I keep thinking about trying to do something with it though. Plus there are some nice alloys nearby.

here is another one that sounds free:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54870

ea81t's are definatly hard to come by, and usually have head problems, either blown head gaskets, cracks in between the valves, electrical problems, etc, etc, they are not impossible to find, there is a junkyard site with a few listed. dual carbs or a weber would be another option, i bet you could get even more horses out of a souped up ea81 than an ea81t, but that is just my opinion.

why couldn't that car of been around last week before i bought my new accord, agh, hey sako how is that wagon coming for you?

pretty good, IMO. I flat blacked the bumpers, took off the rack, pounded the frame more or less back into shape, got the window in, fixed some paint and filled up 30 drill holes with bolts for a "rivet" look. I'll get some pics when I'm done:headbang:

Well, I pulled the car to my house today. I started to pull it forward until I noticed the car wasn't turning so I had to undo the ignition lock and wow, a Subaru would be amazingly easy to steal. Anyways, rear bumpers are not very strong because I broke the tops off with a tow strap, car in neutral e brake off. The brakes work. Went and got 2 new radiator hoses (82 can have mine) and some coolant. I told my mom and stepdad I would have it gone within 3 days, they aren't to fond of me having 3 cars parked in front of the house:D.

Well, I pulled the car to my house today. I started to pull it forward until I noticed the car wasn't turning so I had to undo the ignition lock and wow, a Subaru would be amazingly easy to steal. Anyways, rear bumpers are not very strong because I broke the tops off with a tow strap, car in neutral e brake off. The brakes work. Went and got 2 new radiator hoses (82 can have mine) and some coolant. I told my mom and stepdad I would have it gone within 3 days, they aren't to fond of me having 3 cars parked in front of the house:D.

3 days? anyway we could extend it to 8 days? my dad is getting back with that trailer from colorado next sunday and we can probably buzz down there immediately monday morning and have it gone.... I really could use that car

I COULD rent a uhaul trailer and bring it up with my nissan if I get that running, but whether or not i get one good enough for the highway is a toss up, last time my dad got one he just about got in a wreck cause the alignment was off(toe out :banghead: ) and didnt track very good at all on the highway. The other risk is I dont know if my nissan would make it cause I just swapped in an L20b. If you cant wait I'll call some people i know tomorrow and figure things out, at the VERY minimum I may have acess to a 1 ton dualy diesel v8, and I probably wouldnt need a trailer with that, just load the thing in the bed but the cost of fuel would be pretty high and it wouldnt be covered by my dads company like it would be if my dad were to drive down there.

3 days? anyway we could extend it to 8 days? my dad is getting back with that trailer from colorado next sunday and we can probably buzz down there immediately monday morning and have it gone.... I really could use that car

I COULD rent a uhaul trailer and bring it up with my nissan if I get that running, but whether or not i get one good enough for the highway is a toss up, last time my dad got one he just about got in a wreck cause the alignment was off(toe out :banghead: ) and didnt track very good at all on the highway. The other risk is I dont know if my nissan would make it cause I just swapped in an L20b. If you cant wait I'll call some people i know tomorrow and figure things out, at the VERY minimum I may have acess to a 1 ton dualy diesel v8, and I probably wouldnt need a trailer with that, just load the thing in the bed but the cost of fuel would be pretty high and it wouldnt be covered by my dads company like it would be if my dad were to drive down there.

Don't worry, I just have to have it gone from my house by Wednesday. I'm positive I can stuff it somewhere else for a few more days. Today Wheat Beer Man hooked me up with a free radiator and alternator and we got them installed. Later, when I broke the lock off the trunk (no key) I found ...... can you guess?...... thats right, a radiator and alternator