Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st post: 86 4WD blown engine- $100!

Hello, this is my first post here. I know virtually nothing about Subarus, except that about 25 years ago I installed points, plugs, & condenser on a little early 70's wagon, then set timing by turning engine over with a large boxed end wrench.:D gotta love a car like that.

Friday morning, a new ad in the local paper:

CAR, '86 Subaru SW, 4-WD, blown motor, $100

Finally talked briefly with seller Sat, we were cut off & then I couldn't raise that number again- maybe problems in his rural area. anyhow, only other things I learned: engine has broken block(so will have to be replaced), & it has electric windows. Says rest of car is is in good shape. I don't even know yet if it's an automatic or 5-speed.

I've since done some research, & learned that if it's a 5-sp, it may have a low range for the 4wd- didn't realize before now that any Subies had a low range. Might be nice to do a little light woods-running again after all these years!

If he still has it on Monday, & it's a 5-sp w/low range, & rest of the wagon looks OK- well, What should I expect to pay for a good used engine? My limited research indicates it should probably have a 1.8 L, 2 bbl carb engine. EA-82, maybe?

it could possibly have a spfi 1.8L, some did, some were carbed...have picked up decent used spfi engines for around 150.00 (+/-) depending on the mileage and condition...and the various items still attached (alt, ac comp., etc)

If the body is in decent shape I would get it, but that is me. :burnout:

Electric windows means it's a GL or GL-10. The GL will most certainly have the dual-range 5-speed gearbox. The GL-10 will probably have pushbutton 4WD, but also have deluxe interior, power sunroof, digital dashboard, etc. It's probably carbureted but if it's a GL-10 it may also have a fuel injected turbo setup. Good luck!

If he still has it on Monday, & it's a 5-sp w/low range, & rest of the wagon looks OK- well, What should I expect to pay for a good used engine? My limited research indicates it should probably have a 1.8 L, 2 bbl carb engine. EA-82, maybe?

Try to put in a good used SPFI motor, even if the original was carbed. Higher compression, so a little more HP, with SPFI. The carb intake manifold will still fit.

Tom, just how much extra work is it to go from carburetor to fuel injection? And SPFI: is it Single Port fuel Injection, or Sequential? You can tell I'm a real Subaru expert, huh?;)

Since the block is broken, the engine must be replaced, so if I could get a few extra ponies from a FI engine, & it didn't cost *too* much more, that sounds good. Listen to me, not even sure he still has it!:D But I'll call early tomorrow morning. It's been raining like h3!! all weekend, so I suspect few if any people have gone to look at it.

I checked- the closest Subaru dealership to us is over 100 miles away, in the Dallas area. Don't see a lot of Subarus around here, so finding an engine locally may be a tuffy. If I should get it, I'm gonna have to get my compression tester & timing light back from my brother in Austin! Hmm...maybe find an engine in Austin? 5 hr drive away- but a possibility...

Broken block? Not likely. Take a look at it first to be sure - Probably something silly like an intake gasket. People have no idea about Subaru's - I see em for sale because the timing belt broke and they think the valves are bent. People - especially texas residents - have no idea about soobs. Ask Calebz - he knows.

GD

GD, I hope you're right- but he thought it had broken from lack of antifreeze. For the past 2 winters, that would take some doing here in NE Tx- had almost no winters at all, as far as going below freezing. If he still has it tomorrow morning, & it's a 5-sp w/hi-lo ranges, I'll go see. Right now, batteries are charging for the digital camera, just in case.:D

Man, if it just needed a few gaskets, it could be the best bang-for-the-buck car ever! And even at age 52:eek: , it never hurts to get a new toy.:brow:

Coolant runs through the manifold - the manifold gaskets are a common failure item. Usually the coolant leaks into the cylinders and is burnt. Compression check will yeild good results - so he thinks the block is bad. Never seen or heard of a block cracking, and I'll wager no one else here has either. The heads would warp and crack to little bits before the block went. Could be freeze plugs if it froze with water only in it. At any rate - he probably has no clue what is really wrong.

As for it being a good deal - that's relative. I just drove away in an 86 5 spd 4WD sedan for $100. Cost more than that to register it. I've been given soobs, and bought them for as little as $1 that drove away. People often don't want them or just plain don't know what they have. Reality is they are near worthless anyway - even KBB gives my wagon (in good to mint condition mind you) a value of no more than $800.

GD

Well, *finally* heard from the seller tonight. Unfortunately, it's an automatic, which means no low range, so it's strictly a "no go" for me.:(

If anyone else is interested, send me a PM or post here & I'll send you the guy's phone #. Fair warning: Returning phone calls is not one of his strong points, though!;)