Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to route chains for pulling engine

Since I have never pulled an engine, I am looking for some expert advice....

What is the best way to attach the engine to a cherrypicker?

Is there a place that would be safe to attach clips to the top, or will I have to run chains underneath?

If chains underneath, do I need to run two underneath or is there a way to run one so it will work safely and be somewhat balanced?

I am worried I am going to damage something if I dont do this right.

Thanks - Dan

at the back by the bellhousing there is a hole through a bracket and at the oppisite side of the front of the engine is a hook sort of that you can hook the chain on. Pick the motor up with as little as chain as possible to maximum lift from picker and also hook picker chain at a midpoint on the chain attached to engine. This should balance everything pretty good.

The two lift points don't look that sturdy, but they are more than enough.

You will need a pretty small hook to latch latch onto them.

One is by the throttle cable mount on the bellhousing, the other is by the power steering pump.

A nylon rope wrapped around the bottom works well too. Just make sure the routing won't crush or break anything (fuel rails, spark plug wires, etc) when it gets tension.

Since I have never pulled an engine, I am looking for some expert advice....

What is the best way to attach the engine to a cherrypicker?

Is there a place that would be safe to attach clips to the top, or will I have to run chains underneath?

If chains underneath, do I need to run two underneath or is there a way to run one so it will work safely and be somewhat balanced?

I am worried I am going to damage something if I dont do this right.

Thanks - Dan

Hey Dan, Don't know exactly what you're working on but...I pulled an E-82 long block out by myself recently, bare hands. After I pulled the intake and layed the whole deal up in the spare tire well, unbolted the alternater, ps pump, battery. The long block weighs 140 lbs, step over the radiator support, it's out of there. YMMV