Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*edit* $3k for a brat; when is it worth it?

I have seen them go for that much on ebay and I know some of you have Brats that are worth the money, but I'm wondering how to determine when its worth paying this much.

There is one here in town. I have heard the guy wants $3500 for it. Its nice.

It has these wheels tn_1983-4spokwht.jpg

which I had never seen before.

it has the seats. Its not a turbo. It has t tops. Looks clean and straight. No obvious rust. There are a lot of unknown variables (mileage, if it runs or not, interior condition, etc...) its inside a fenced in yard and I have only seen it in the light once. I'm pretty sure its a 1983

Thanks for the info.

-Jack

it is worth it when there is no rust, few dings and scratches of a 20+ year old car. all original and running good. interior halfway decent, and under 80k miles. that is just my opinion, probly would never really pay over 2k for a brat. they do seem to bring it though:eek:

no rust is almost impossible around here. and I doubt the mileage is that low. But otherwise it might meet the criteria. I agree that I probably wouldn't pay more than $2k for a brat. Its not that they arent worth it in some cases, its that I don't want one that nice because I don't want to feel bad about driving it on the beach, letting the dog ride in it, towing a hobie with it and putting some miles on it.

I think the worth is deturmined by the buyer...Its like any "collectable"...it may be "worth" so much..but to find someone willing to pay that for it is another thing. How bad does the buyer want it.Seems the Brats are getting more popular again and that will cause the selling prices to go up.

Let's put this into perspective. Lets' say you could by a car that's unusal, you'll get at least 100K out of the engine (even if it already has 100K on it), gets 25-30 MPG, fun to drive, easy to work on, and you can drive it through just about any kind of weather. Would you pay $3500?

Oh Yeah...and chicks dig it! :D

130-3099_IMG.JPG

Well, I just ran out to get a taco. This is my attempt at night time photography.

So this is the Brat. Not to get too argumentative 82 Brat, but your descritpion fits any 4wd sube. And they can be had for a lot less. The appeal of this truck is that its here now. I don't ahve to look for it. I like the color. It has the options I want. If it doesn't need any work (and who knows) and it has AC, it would be a lot of fun to drive around this summer. But on the other hand, if I put half of 3500 into my Jeep it too could be a lot of fun.

showphoto.php?photo=10347&cat=500&ppuser=803&sl=j

I cant help thinking about the BRAT I'm selling for $3K:eek:

Basically its a market price... It has to be Very nice and sold in the right place... In my case, I cannot really sell my BRAT at that price on a GM board, and really, the way the subaru community is, I'm not really betting on selling it here either... We like our rus old, slightly needing of love and baught from a little old lady thats had it 20 years and only wants $250 for it:banana: Not that I did that, I got mine from Rick... But like someone else said, its a collector thats willing to see what he wants, in the condition that he wants thats going to pay that kind of cash for it... The lines different for everyone.... For me, mine modded to the hilt(cept tires), virtually rust free, and good clean running make mine(I think) worth that.

Just my 2 cents

Ohhh... and those rims are PIMP!:headbang: