Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shift Interlock Relay clicking after changing rotors & Pads?

Hi

I'm not sure if this an easy question or a difficult one, but it's got me stumped. I just changed the brake rotors and pads on my 2004 LL Bean outback and now I've got this clicking noise when I brake while in Park. To make this even more difficult I changed the front rotors and pads last week and the rear this week. Last week the changed rotors and pads resulted in no strange noises like this. It was only after I changed the rotors and pads on the rear and test drove the car I noticed this clicking noise near the automation shift console while in Park.

I have searched and found a few references to clicking of the shift interlock relay that could be what I'm hearing. Is there some adjustment to this related to the brakes that I forgot? I also saw some reference to the brake accumulator with ABS system perhaps related to this clicking noise althought his was not with Subarus. Any advice would be appreciated.

My '03 OBW has made this sound since I bought it late last year. I assumed that this was a "Subaru" thing, and thought nothing of it. For what it's worth, it coincides exactly with the brake light illumination, which takes barely any pressure at all on the pedal, so I figured it was normal relay noise. I've never worried about it. Should I be? I want to say that my mom's '94 Corolla does the same thing, but it's been so long since I've driven it. My '94 Saturn never did this.

27K on the car, I'm going with the assumption that pretty much everything is original, including the pads, though I can't confirm it since it's used.

Hi

I checked with my local subaru dealer and he said it's normal and is the shift interlock relay as stated by previous replies. He said not to worry about it. I guess when I checked the brakes after replacing the pads and rotors I was listening for anything unusual and just had not heard this clicking noise before. Thanks for all the answers. :banana: