Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2WD fuel tank in 4WD hatch?

88HatchMonster

I was wondering this myself. Only Hatch's i can find in this area are 2WD, which doesnt bother me since I have a complete 4WD parts car, including 3" lift. Only part of the 4WD conversion I dont have is a 4WD Hatch tank, but with the 3" lift I wasnt sure if it mattered. Would be sweet if you could pull this off!

-Brian

5lb hammer may help? :lol:

So the hatch's tank is different to the wagons?

Yeah. Wagons didn't come in 2wd. (correct me if I'm wrong.) But the 4wd tanks have a "bump" in them to clear the rear diff. If you had a lift kit, then the 2wd tank would clear it.

Yeah. Wagons didn't come in 2wd. (correct me if I'm wrong.) But the 4wd tanks have a "bump" in them to clear the rear diff. If you had a lift kit, then the 2wd tank would clear it.

wagons came in both 2wd and 4wd. but the hatch tank is about 6-8" shorter in length maybe....

Like Qman said, you need a full 4" lift kit that drops the whole diff hanger (mustache bar and diff) that much.

a 3" lift will not be enough to clear it...

I need a 2wd tank in my Hatch badly. On my trip to Rieter Pit last weekend, I went thru a tank+ of gas. And with prices going up, I may not make to many more trips like that. My big problem, even tho I have 8in of lift, the diff hanger has a plate welded on the bottom where the diff is attached. The actual hanger is still in its original location. This means I have to design and fab a whole new hanger in order to put a 2wd tank in:banghead:

Thanks for the info, everyone. I was hoping that someone had tried it already though. I do have a 2WD tank but it is under a stripped body and buried in the mud behind my house. I may pull it and try this when it gets a little warmer out. I will let everyone know how it works out.

are the 2wd wagon tanks bigger than the 4wd ones? I dont mean to hijack this thread but I'm kinda curious... even though there really is no differance in how much money i save, I dont really like going through like 3/4 of my tank going up to the mountains(I'm only getting 18-20mpg btw).

I've thought about fabrication a gas tank that goes all the way across from drivers side to passenger side... if I remember right the gas tank only goes over like 2/3 of the way and then there is empty space, not to mention that BIG indentation in it that has no apparent reason for being there :rolleyes: