Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to prime the engine?

the way i was taught, which is suppose to be the proper way, is to take a tool if its available (don't know if one exist for subarus), basicly take an old distributor housing with the shaft in it put a drill motor on it, pull all the sparkplugs out and run the drill motor to turn the engine over until you get oil to the valve train or oil pressure.

the way i've done it was take the coil wire off and crank the engine over with the starter, not the best way but i never had any problems with it.

unplug fuel pump electrical connector (under car by rear right wheel)

remove coil wire

remove spark plugs (optional)

turn key to crank engine for a few seconds at a time

repeat cranking until oil pressure is good (about 6 times i think)

plug stuff back in

let 'er rip!

i just did this last week on my JDM EA82 as well. i attach a drill to a 12mm socket and run the oil pump directly. then turn the motor over by hand after installing the timing belts to get things moving.

i've actually turned the motor over by hand before and oil will come out of the oil pump. try turning the oil pump by hand, you can remove the filter first try to see if oil is actually coming out.

using the starter is fairly common but i've never done it. follow directions above.

using the starter is fairly common but i've never done it. follow directions above.

I applied generous amounts of high quality assembly lube while everything was apart before priming.

If the engine has been sitting for a while, I would remove the timing belts and turn the oil pump.