Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NW OR/SW WA... wheeling? weekend of April 21-23

If we just meet in Mt. Angle I can point the way. It's just 2 turns and about 10-15 minutes of country road out side Mt. Angle. (if we decide to go there) or maybe we could just split the group up for people who want to go to Crooked Finger.

at this point I'm leaning towards somewhere around tillamook actually, long beach is just a little bit far to go, map quest shows it as a 2 1/2 hour drive going up I-5 to longview to highway 30, which means its probably closer to a 3 hour drive for me cause I definately cant do 70mph on I5. TSF ohv area seems a bit far from longbeach in terms of driving but I'm really not willing to drive more than an hour and a half at the VERY most, or scapoose/vernonia/clatskanie if theres some less hardcore stuff around there stock vehicles can do.

so my vote is tillamook

Do you have map of where this place is at? All mapquest will show me is that it's near Salem.

Put my vote down for RisSanSubaru's suggestion of something near Long Beach.

do you live out here? ever been up to radar? theres lots of good stuff there and an isolated campground on a lake as well.

at this point I'm leaning towards somewhere around tillamook actually, long beach is just a little bit far to go, map quest shows it as a 2 1/2 hour drive going up I-5 to longview to highway 30, which means its probably closer to a 3 hour drive for me cause I definately cant do 70mph on I5. TSF ohv area seems a bit far from longbeach in terms of driving but I'm really not willing to drive more than an hour and a half at the VERY most, or scapoose/vernonia/clatskanie if theres some less hardcore stuff around there stock vehicles can do.

so my vote is tillamook

actually, if you are going out west pdx like towards tillamook, it's 2.25 hours exactly (going the speedlimit or less-) speedo's about 55 all the way after hillsboro on 26, and it's a straight shot. I tend to go about 50 the whole way and it takes me 1 hour 45 to Astoria then another 1/2 hour to get out here... so if you're a speeder, it's much faster, my gf makes it in like 1.5 hours >shrug< What 's TSF anyways? I don't really know much about OHV's we just have woods here and lots of it. Still, I'll do Clatskanie or Scapoose or something that way.. only about 45 mins for me.

actually, if you are going out west pdx like towards tillamook, it's 2.25 hours exactly (going the speedlimit or less-) speedo's about 55 all the way after hillsboro on 26, and it's a straight shot. I tend to go about 50 the whole way and it takes me 1 hour 45 to Astoria then another 1/2 hour to get out here... so if you're a speeder, it's much faster, my gf makes it in like 1.5 hours >shrug< What 's TSF anyways? I don't really know much about OHV's we just have woods here and lots of it. Still, I'll do Clatskanie or Scapoose or something that way.. only about 45 mins for me.

tillamook state forest... its only about 45 minutes - 1 hour max from portland, and theres TONS of good stuff out there, although I'm looking again and many trails are closed till later this spring. SO I guess I'm in with rissan... so does april 22nd work?

I'm pretty much down for whatever I suppose - you guys figure it out. Just make it fun for us non-stocker's too.

The trails in scapoose that I know of.... parts are easy and parts are hard, but some are rather long, and we may find we have to turn back at some point.... I've gone through at least one that I was the ONLY rig that drove through the trap, and then couldn't winch, pull or coerce anyone else through so decided to turn back.... well I got stuck trying to go the other way through the mess. Not cool. Bashed in some door panels and got real wet and cursed a lot that day.

There are some soob-swallowing abyss's there that seriously would swallow a small house. I've seen holes that were so deep with rain nothing short of a boat could have gone through. Narrow trail with water 5 feet deep will swallow a soob in no time.

GD

I'm pretty much down for whatever I suppose - you guys figure it out. Just make it fun for us non-stocker's too.

The trails in scapoose that I know of.... parts are easy and parts are hard, but some are rather long, and we may find we have to turn back at some point.... I've gone through at least one that I was the ONLY rig that drove through the trap, and then couldn't winch, pull or coerce anyone else through so decided to turn back.... well I got stuck trying to go the other way through the mess. Not cool. Bashed in some door panels and got real wet and cursed a lot that day.

There are some soob-swallowing abyss's there that seriously would swallow a small house. I've seen holes that were so deep with rain nothing short of a boat could have gone through. Narrow trail with water 5 feet deep will swallow a soob in no time.

GD

Well closer the better, I doubt anyone wants to pay an extra $10 for the ATV permit we need to be out at tillamook for more than half the trails out there being closed right now. Last time I was out there in my jeep(01/05/2006) I got a ticket because I didnt have one, sherrif was an rump roast and I couldn't make the courtdate. I havent seen whats out a scapoose, I would love to go out there but I'm pretty much following whatever GD says on that. I also figure that up by rissan is gonna be similar to scapoose or wherever along the coast range, its the same type of terrain.

either way I got a big hose and a high volume pump I can bring :grin:

tillamook state forest... its only about 45 minutes - 1 hour max from portland, and theres TONS of good stuff out there, although I'm looking again and many trails are closed till later this spring. SO I guess I'm in with rissan... so does april 22nd work?

Well, with us for what? The wheelin in Naselle (near long beach) or the Clatskanie/Scapoose area?.. could just do separate get togethers.. some of us could go to areas near here, and some could go further south or something. Whatever. I'm always up for wheelin fun on days off. Note, if coming up here, gas up in pdx. 2.53/gal Arco there.. 2.7x Everywhere in Astoria

Well, with us for what? The wheelin in Naselle (near long beach) or the Clatskanie/Scapoose area?.. could just do separate get togethers.. some of us could go to areas near here, and some could go further south or something. Whatever. I'm always up for wheelin fun on days off. Note, if coming up here, gas up in pdx. 2.53/gal Arco there.. 2.7x Everywhere in Astoria

Ok I'm going to scapoose/vernonia on saturday, stock vehicles BEWARE. I dont really want to drive more than an hour untill I can for certain get my rig SOLID for highway use. If you want to meet up tell me a good place and time, like the Fred Meyers or Safeway parking lot by 9 or something

Ok I'm going to scapoose/vernonia on saturday, stock vehicles BEWARE. I dont really want to drive more than an hour untill I can for certain get my rig SOLID for highway use. If you want to meet up tell me a good place and time, like the Fred Meyers or Safeway parking lot by 9 or something

how beware do we have to be with stock vehicles? is the problem just mud or is there more? Please let us know because we are interested, but none of us have our lifts on yet.

thanks.

how beware do we have to be with stock vehicles? is the problem just mud or is there more? Please let us know because we are interested, but none of us have our lifts on yet.

thanks.

gonna leave this to GD since he knows the area better than I do.. but yes mut, probably some deep holes(floating suby = no good), some knarly ruts so clearance may be an issue...

I'm going to crooked finger this sunday with 3 or 4 other friends. If anyone wants to go give me a call and I can meet you in Mt. Angle and follow me up.

-earl 503-887-3070:burnout:

We'll be leaving Portland at about 10am and ariving about 11am!

gonna leave this to GD since he knows the area better than I do.. but yes mut, probably some deep holes(floating suby = no good), some knarly ruts so clearance may be an issue...

hmm well maybe we'll just meet ya guys anyways, and see what it looks like. what time and where? safeway in Scapoose? Let me know. My car might not have tons of clearance but I had it in 4 feet of water/mud the other day- the snorkel works great!

Well - it looks like Scrap thinks he may not be able to go anywhere.... I am down still tho, and promised the GF that we would be going. I have some work to do tonight....

So what's the consensus? Without other lifted rigs it won't be much good to go to Scapoose. I'll end up horribly stuck with no recourse but shovels and a come-along - how about what's going on at Crooked Finger?

Truth be told my wagon hasn't been out for a while, and some lesser-than-hardore for it's first outing this year might be a wise choice on my part. Breaking things is fun, but with the GF with me, I'm not so sure it's a good idea. :rolleyes:

Pooparu.... so what's the word? Where do you want to meet up in Portland?

RiSan? You down with crooked finger? About an hour from portland it sounds like....?

Ok - back to the shop for me - much to do, much to do.

GD

Well - it looks like Scrap thinks he may not be able to go anywhere.... I am down still tho, and promised the GF that we would be going. I have some work to do tonight....

So what's the consensus? Without other lifted rigs it won't be much good to go to Scapoose. I'll end up horribly stuck with no recourse but shovels and a come-along - how about what's going on at Crooked Finger?

Truth be told my wagon hasn't been out for a while, and some lesser-than-hardore for it's first outing this year might be a wise choice on my part. Breaking things is fun, but with the GF with me, I'm not so sure it's a good idea. :rolleyes:

RiSan? You down with crooked finger? About an hour from portland it sounds like....?

GD

looks like im not going anywhere tomorrow. i'm up to my ears in a 2.2 swap on my GL and was going to try to get it done by tomorrow (which it probably will be) but on the other hand, I'll prolly have to sleep some come 7 tomorrow am. Also Crooked's like 3 hours from me. but have some fun!

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I thought if anybody wanted to go they would have called, but we are planning on going back up in two weeks. There was some great stuff up there, mud water, dirt and rock. It was just a great day. I'll have to post some pics. I'll post another meet and greet with the details on the next outing in two weeks. :clap:

GD

Yeah - Scrap decided he did want to go after all, and we were both going to get out there, but both located some things that had to be fixed before we could see mud again.

Both my front ball-joints were worse than shot, and I had a little engine/tranny mount issue that was my own doing :rolleyes:. It just wasn't in the cards for me this time around - the digi-dash blowing out, and followed closely by the rod going through the block, then the new engine destroying it's clutch pressure plate (release bearing locked up) has really set me back a good 12 months of wheeling.

It's all fixed now, even with a couple new modifications, and we'll be heading out probably this weekend - and the next. We should all meet up. I'll look for your new meet thread.

GD

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I thought if anybody wanted to go they would have called, but we are planning on going back up in two weeks. There was some great stuff up there, mud water, dirt and rock. It was just a great day. I'll have to post some pics. I'll post another meet and greet with the details on the next outing in two weeks. :clap:

where did you guys end up going? would it have been ok for stockies? Im doing a 2.2 swap on my wagon right now so all we have is our stock 91 loyale- can't convince the girlfriend to let me offroad her 79 brat, and my 76 brat is not road-ready- need to find some doors for it.

We went up to crooked finger. It's great for stockies and hardcores. We found all kinds of new stuff up there. It's huge!

where did you guys end up going? would it have been ok for stockies? Im doing a 2.2 swap on my wagon right now so all we have is our stock 91 loyale- can't convince the girlfriend to let me offroad her 79 brat, and my 76 brat is not road-ready- need to find some doors for it.

We went up to crooked finger. It's great for stockies and hardcores. We found all kinds of new stuff up there. It's huge!

so it might be worth the drive down huh.. we'll have to see if I actually get this 2.2 swap done.. i decided to do it without any input or help from anyone else- my style. did my 1.8t AWD conversion in my rabbit the same way. takes longer but I learn alot.