Ultimate Subaru Message Board

check engine light- need advice

I have a 2002 Outback Sport with less than 36K miles. My 'check engine' light came on last week. The guy at Aamco ran a diagnostic and gave me this code - P0065 Air Assist Inj Control Range/Perf. I called the dealer, who scheduled an appointment for me this Tuesday. The guy at Aamco said that since my car is newer and doesn't have a lot of mileage, maybe I could get the dealer to cover this under a warranty or something.

Does anyone know if this kind of malfunction is normal given that I take pretty good care of my car and the mileage is below normal? I want to appear to be knowledgeable when I go to the dealer - I get paranoid that since I'm a woman, I'm more of a target to get ripped off, plus I don't trust the dealerships that much to begin with. Any kind of knowledge or advice would be appreciated.

I googled and found this on NASIC forum:

"Date: 12/2002

Code: P0065 Air Assist Injector Solenoid Valve Malfunction

2000/Subaru/Impreza 2.5RS

Mileage: 65,000

Fix for problem: Air Assist Injector Solenoid Valve was dirty, removed and cleaned it myself and reset ECU.

Cost: $Free

This code has not occured again since."

I have no idea what air assist inj solenoid valve is.

If your car is more that 3 years, you are outside the emission warranty.

I want to appear to be knowledgeable when I go to the dealer - I get paranoid that since I'm a woman,
now that's rediculous. the dealers don't discriminate, they try to ho$e EVERYONE!

i'm not familiar with this part either, but the above statement about cleaning sounds fair to me. there are a number of sensors in older subaru's that are remedied by cleaning, i wouldn't be surprised if this one can suffer the same issues. that being said - the dealer will never clean something for you. that would take 7 minutes and not have enough labor and expense room to pad the charges. they'll replace it for $200.

i bought a subaru that the owner took to the dealer and was quoted a $1,200 repair for the power steering pump at Annapolis Subaru in maryland. i offered to fix the car for the lady but she was so disgusted with it, she sold the car to me very cheap. i fixed the power steering for about $20 in parts. that's how the dealers work, they don't fix anything, they replace expensive parts!

I googled and found this on NASIC forum:

"Date: 12/2002

Code: P0065 Air Assist Injector Solenoid Valve Malfunction

2000/Subaru/Impreza 2.5RS

Mileage: 65,000

Fix for problem: Air Assist Injector Solenoid Valve was dirty, removed and cleaned it myself and reset ECU.

Cost: $Free

This code has not occured again since."

I have no idea what air assist inj solenoid valve is.

If your car is more that 3 years, you are outside the emission warranty.

Yeah, a code like that, I'd be tempted to clear the ECU and see if it comes back before I did much of anything.

Aren't some emissions warranty 5/50K ? I dunno - maybe wishful thinking!

Carl

Air Assist Injector Valve is right in the front of the engine, in front and to the left of the ignition coil. Mounted in the intake manifold. 2 hoses on it and an electrical connector.

It's purpose is under certain load and rpm's the ECU signals it to open to add additional air to the Fuel Injectors to add air and alter the spray pattern (make it finer).

Usually the failure is the valve itself or there was a tip back in 2002 which stated a front oxygen sensor CAN set this code if it is marginally out of spec.

From Subaru's Warrenty position, Both the Air Assist Injection Valve AND the Oxygen Sensor are covered ONLY by the 3/36 warrenty.