Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no power under 3k rpm...Loyale

I have a 93 Loyale wagon, non-turbo, with 150k miles. i just bought the car and it drives great and runs very well.....i just don't have ANY power under 3000 rpm, is this normal for this 1.8, does it just run higher rpms? or is there a problem? at 3k, it will push you back in your seat, but if i am at 2500, then it will try to stall....this happens in all gears. it has a manual so i can usually just run it up and avoid the problems, but it still bugs me especially in the city....

Ya, get used to it mine is the same way. Also, don't be afraid to push it to 4500 or even 5000 when shifting. My Loyale loves the high revs and the high RPMs gets the oil pressure up!

yeah believe it or not that is whats best for these engines, they dont hit crap for power till after 3k rpms, and then they're friggin rockets(at least mine with my gigantic tires on it...)

look in the owneres manual for getting the best economy out of it. it should tell you to wait to shift untill you hit 4000-4500 rpms. I used to run it in the low range on the tach, shifting arond 3000-3500rpms and my engine HATED it, starting shifting at 4500-5000rpms and after a while its blowing all that ************ outta its system and it runs the best it ever has(when it runs... carb/ecc problems). and now I feel good about the way I drive it, i used to get this bad guilty feeling in my gut every time I floor it and take it to redline like i was abusing the car, now I know its good for it :grin::burnout::headbang::banana:

yeah... also forgot to mention when starting in low rpms, it almost feels like I have a turbo kicking in right around 3k rpms when I floor it, feels like i'm gonna brake the back of my seat off. I just pretend the howl from my tires is the whine of a turbo :grin:

~coneohippie's wife~

see i told him he was overreacting!! our other vehicle is a 85 chevy suburban so it hauls rump roast and the power is definatly there...i kept on telling him that half the cylinders aren't going to give him the same amount of power...although it is nice to be reassured nothings wrong :D thanx guys!!

Well... I know Loyale`s EA82 Loves Redline, but if yours is Carbed, you can do somethin` to fix this situation ( A little at Least )... Let me Explain:

Normally Carbed Subies got the CrapTachi (Hitachi) Carb on them... it has two stages, low (Mecanically Powered by the Cable) and High (Powered by a Suction Vacuum Valve, that depends on the Engine`s Rpm`s ...)

So, My EA82 is now "Weberized". Weber Carbs goth Both Stages activated Mecanically, but the Second is Progressive (in 32/36 Models, in 38/38 they`re Sychcronous) The Second opens at the First`s Half opening.

Believe me: It`s a Enormous Difference between them (Second Stage by Vacuum and Mecanically) Specially in the Lower Range, so if you`r Subie is Carbed, and you want still to use it`s Hitachi Carb, you can "Unplug" the Vacuum valve from the Carb, Cap the hose and do a "Link" Between the First and the Second Stages, using a piece of Solid Iron Wire.

There are a lot of info of it on internet... Also I did help doin` this to two Friend`s Loyales, and they claim their cars Feels way Better, accelerates very Faster, even comparing when they where new...

Also mine with the Weber, Accelerates Very Faster than when it was New.

Maybe this Idea could Help you...

Good Luck!

yeah i was comparing it to my honda that i used to have and it lost performance at higher rpms and i was just making sure that i wasn't going to watch my tranny fall out b/c i was revving it so high :grin:

no joke, these cars LOVE the higher rpms. half the cylinders can get you going ALOT faster when you're car is only 1/4 the weigh of that suburban :burnout: its just those monsters like it better on the lower end of the tach, and subarus dont have crap untill you get to 3.5k or higher.