Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Its Aliiiiiiiiiive!!

!WOOT!

Finally got a chance to crank the engine over today. I spent all day yesterday mounting the intake manifold and connecting/replacing all the hoses involved with PCV and fuel. I also went and bought a new battery along with a couple other odds and ends.

Today I woke up and installed the radiator, oil filter and alternator. Filled it with oil and water. I performed a compression test before I put the plugs in and everything checked out okay. So in went the plugs, and then it was only a matter of figuring out which plug wires went where. I just got that figured out, installed the wires and decided it was now or never. Tried to fire it up without a MAF or any intake plumbing but it would only crank. I couldnt get it to run so I decided i would install the maf and all that... then try. After I put the stock intake plentum on, i looked over and there I saw the coil wire laying on the hood. So I installed the coil wire to the disty and went to try again.

The motor didnt even make 2 full revolutions before it fired up. And i mean, it fired right up! Better than before.... but the idle likes to climb up to 3000 or so.

I guess all i have left to do is button up the PCV system and take her for a test drive :clap:

-Brian

GL Boost, no :) I installed a N/A Block in my EA82T after i blew up the original motor. Motor blew up the weekend before thanksgiving, and ive been in the process of putting everything from my stock block onto a stock MPFI Block from a XT.

Just got back from its 1st, 2nd and 3rd official test runs. All i can say is WOW!!! Im in love all over again :) Car runs great, plugged some of the left over hose fittings and PCV ports that i didnt use and now it holds a steady idle at 950rpm. I can race it all day long, and if i drop the throttle it goes to 950 and stays there, no bouncing around or eloping.

Boost is kinda wierd. Maybe its cause i messed with my wastegate, but it likes to spike at 5psi and hold somewhere around 3psi. Could be my gauge out of calibration so maybe its higher, but if I gun it i can get it to stay at 5psi and the motor doesnt seem to care. Only while WOT in 5th gear do I get some hesitation. I think once i re-install my intercooler that problem should be solved.

Yes Jeremy, at this rate i have no excuse not to make it to reno next weekend :) Cant wait either.

-Brian

Wicked! I love the extra low end the higher comp gives you.

That's pretty low boost pressure. What's your timing at Brian? On the high comp turbo motor in my lifted wagon it's at 18 btdc instead of 25 btdc that it was as a low comp motor.

What's vac like?

yo brian good job, damned if it werent for them damn motor mounts!:banana::D

you should be fine with stock timing and regular gas. as so with my car and its carb block, have no issues.

with an intercooler you could get way with bumping up the timing or maybe playing with the boost. and if you get too scared use premium gas!

but really, stock timing and boost are good to go. you should have more bottom end pull so you dont have to spool the turbo so much to get going, plus you can lug a lower rpm when cruising in town, and still pick up from there. my car does great at 2500 rpm cruise in 4th gear at 30-40 mph, 5th gear at 45

welcome to the carb block turbo club. enjoy!

I noticed that on the test drive yesterday miles. I was able to pass some lady without needing to downshift :) I think im going to put the wastegate back in stock form, and see if that doesnt smooth out the boost alittle. Also, I checked the timing and it showed to be at 10 degree's :eek: I dont think that can be bad, but im going to set it closer to 20 and see if that helps. Im sure it will.

Oh... and the only thing I run is premium. RIght now my intercooler isn't plumbed, so its running with a stock plentum and no bypass valve.

-Brian

the idle at 3k when cold is "NORMAL", your ASV is doing its job

the computer can figure out what timing it needs, it's smart enough to compensate :rolleyes:

enigne will run with maf wire disconnected, but will not wind up as high rpm

engine will die if maf tube is disconnected

I went and put all the PCV stuff back together. Its not stock, but it should work. Im getting some hesitation under Wide Open Throttle, i checked the timing and it was at 22 degree's. I adjusted it to 20 degree's, but the engine was still cold and i didnt mess with the test connectors for the ECU.

The car idles GREAT. I dont think this car has ran this good since i owned it. Now it'll start right up, and hold idle at 950rpm. I can rev it and the throttle responce is quick with no lag and once i let off the throttle quickly drops to 950 and there it stays.

My CEL is on, but right now I dont really care. Ive put the hood back on, and that signify's the end of its ressurection. Now im going to try not to kill it again :)

-Brian