Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question on the 2.5 SOHC engine...

I have a 2000 Legacy Wagon with the 2.5.

As far as engine/transmissions go, what other year/model subarus are a direct replacement? Would a 2002 2.5 Impreza RS be the same as my Legacy...and would a 2002 Legacy use the same transmission as the 2000 Legacy?

I looked for a comprehensive list of Subaru models, but couldn't find anything. :-\

I have a 2000 Legacy Wagon with the 2.5.

As far as engine/transmissions go, what other year/model subarus are a direct replacement? Would a 2002 2.5 Impreza RS be the same as my Legacy...and would a 2002 Legacy use the same transmission as the 2000 Legacy?

I looked for a comprehensive list of Subaru models, but couldn't find anything. :-\

WhAt are you looking for, exactly? the 2002 model year used the same engine as your 2000, and the tranny from EJ series Subaru should swap in just fine. Be sure to make sure the Diferential matches the tranny though. The easiest way to do this on used parts is to get the diff from the same car as the tranny. If the diff has a different gear ratio than the tranny, it will tear up the tranny, causing expensive problems.

Sorry, I should have stated it more clearly.

I have:

2000 Legacy Wagon (brighton)

automatic transmission

(234,000 miles)

The donor cars are:

2002 Impreza 2.5 RS (for the engine)

2002 Legacy Wagon (for the transmission)

Does the sticker on the door jam tell you what diff you have? If so, what are the different options for the 2000-2004 models?

From the things I'm reading on the internet, it looks like the GT model has a different gear ratio and a limited slip. The brighton and L models are the same I take it?

They may be. I would grab the diff from the donor as well, just to be sure.

Also, I believe that they went to a new transmission design in 2001, so I'm not sure your TCU/wiring will match up without some fiddling, unless you are going to a manual tranny?

I'm curious, both engine and tranny died on you?

Actually, neither. The thing still runs beatifully. Doesn't leak, smoke, make weird noises etc. :headbang:

I have been looking around for the past few months for an engine/tranny though. With 230,000 + miles on the ticker, I'd like to have a back-up plan in case one goes out. And it so happens that the engine/tranny I'm looking at are really good deals. Good enough deals to let them collect dust in the garage until my current setup goes out.

Gnuman - Thanks for the info. I knew that the 2000-2004 legacy's were similar in engine/bodystyle, but I wasn't positive on the transmission. I thought I had read once that they had a different transmission build starting in 02', but I'm still not positive. And by the way....I'm sticking with the automatic.

I've tried the following to get the information:

Subaru dealership - nothing

Autoparts stores that can order rebuilt transmissions - nothing (still waiting on one).

My local junkyard doesn't know for sure either...

:confused:

95-96 DOHC engines will bolt up to a 97+ newer transmission. I found that out at work. So to answer your questions, just about anything from, 1995 and newer is interchangeable. The bellhousing is a 4 bolt setup on the 95/96 and then from 97+ they did the 8 bolt bellhousing. The only difference is lack of threads in 4 of the holes. It will still work going 4 bolts to 8

The biggest thing was already mentioned, gear ratio. 4.11 and 4.44 is what you are gonna run into.

Oh yea, sorry to hear you havea brighton

What's wrong with a Brighton?

Sure it is a base model, and lacks a few features, but it's got power windows, A/C and a cassette/cd player. It's Good enough for me and it's got 234,000 miles with ZERO major problems...proving this Brighton is as good and better than most other legacy's. :banana:

What's wrong with a Brighton?

Sure it is a base model, and lacks a few features, but it's got power windows, A/C and a cassette/cd player. It's Good enough for me and it's got 234,000 miles with ZERO major problems...proving this Brighton is as good and better than most other legacy's. :banana:

Power windows? I'm pretty sure that Brighten has been upgraded along the way, or features added to the base package. I expect to get lots more than that in my 92 L wagon, just as you should probably expect to get from your Brighton. Granted, I am upgrading mine to have a few of the niceties that the higher trim models have. Say, do you have disks in the rear or drums (brakes)?