Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Finishing Touches" on my ea81...

I'd hardly call it finished, but it's almost to the point that it's a reliable driver. I just ordered an Exedy clutch kit and plan to install that this weekend. Got 5 tires, 185/80-13s, from Walmart for 200 bones on clean OEM rims, and plan to replace the holy exhaust with a 'custom' one... slightly bigger pipes, no cat since it'll be mostly for off-road use (for now, might add one later) and a cheap hi-flow muffler.

Suspension and brakes look to be in pretty good shape. But my gauges aren't working too well, speedo and temp are reading zeros. I think my alternator/regulator might be on it's way out, it's reading just under 13V at idle and doesn't increase when it revs up. I'm thinking of doing the GM alternator for a little extra juice, looks pretty simple. But I'm excited to take her into the dirt for the first time, hopefully next weekend!

Any suggestions on what to look for in the gauges? Anyone have a spare set laying around they want to get rid of?

Thanks,

Aaron

I'd hardly call it finished, but it's almost to the point that it's a reliable driver. I just ordered an Exedy clutch kit and plan to install that this weekend. Got 5 tires, 185/80-13s, from Walmart for 200 bones on clean OEM rims, and plan to replace the holy exhaust with a 'custom' one... slightly bigger pipes, no cat since it'll be mostly for off-road use (for now, might add one later) and a cheap hi-flow muffler.

Suspension and brakes look to be in pretty good shape. But my gauges aren't working too well, speedo and temp are reading zeros. I think my alternator/regulator might be on it's way out, it's reading just under 13V at idle and doesn't increase when it revs up. I'm thinking of doing the GM alternator for a little extra juice, looks pretty simple. But I'm excited to take her into the dirt for the first time, hopefully next weekend!

Any suggestions on what to look for in the gauges? Anyone have a spare set laying around they want to get rid of?

Thanks,

Aaron

well, probably a good idea to go through them all and lube them up if there is any corrosion.. wd40 or something. check all electrical connections, make sure there is no rust or corrosion, and clean them and then use dielectric grease and heat shrink on them.

congrats on getting it running. my ea81 is the best car i've had yet(except for the craptachi thats keeping it from running right)